Back in 2017 I made this piece below as part of my liturgical series. It features our prayer of confession. I sold it to the Episcopal Cathedral in Sacramento, California. It was an exciting sale but I've regretted selling it ever since, mostly because I want to have the whole series together. Almost as soon as I sold it, I knew I'd need to make another one.
Unfortunately, after trying to do the cyanotyping, I could barely see the words. Finally I decided to go back to my blog posts from way back then and realized that I'd had this same trouble before; the glass was thick enough that the sunlight could sort of come it an angle under the writing on the top of the glass.

For the second time, I wrote the words on a piece of thin tablecloth vinyl and put that under the glass and tried the printing again.
That time it worked much better, and the edges of the vinyl actually printed as well which went along with the theme.

I didn't have any more of the turquoise fabric, but I had a lovely large piece of this pruple and brown wool. It was a wonderful thick wool with a fairly open weave. It was actually some sort of poncho, no idea where it came from, but it had a lovely soft drape and a nice curved edge so I decided to use it for the background. I finished the edge of the floating prayer for the center and then floated it inside the wool piece. I quilted some pieces of the baptismal vows in the background, and then finished the edges with couched yarn. The edge was way too thick to turn for a facing.
Unfortunately, the wool was really soft and stretchy and the curved edges got really stretched out and ruffly. I liked the yarn, but there was no amount of pressing or anything I could do to get it to lay flat. I was so hacked I just hung it up on the wall in time out and ignored it for a year. Now that I'm about to exhibit all the quilts though, I decided it was time to fix it for good. Come back on Wednesday to see how I rescued it.







No comments:
Post a Comment