After taking the pictures I made a line drawing (not my strong suit) of the organ and turned it into a foundation piecing pattern. It took quite a while for me to get it drafted and even remotely proportional, but I succeeded. After finalizing my initial drawing, I had it enlarged and printed out, then traced it onto freezer paper. Here are my finalized initial drawing and the enlarged (full size) pattern.
|Initial 8.5x11 drawing|
|Full size drawing|
I decided to place the organ on a background of a radiating sunrise illuminating the darkness of night. I designed the background in EQ6, and printed/enlarged it the same way.
|block for background, designed in EQ6|
After enlarging and tracing onto freezer paper, I numbered the piecing order etc. There are a few smaller pieced parts that aren't labeled on the large pattern; for example I added in lines to piece the organist hair, some of the organ pipes, and the chevrons in the sun rays. I paper (foundation) pieced the whole background, then pieced the organ the same way, then appliqued the organ onto the background.
Here's how the organ part looked after piecing:
The organ pipes in the two sections flanking the middle are pieced (with black pieces at the bottom) to emphasize the pipe shape, while I used that fabulous grey print (it's one of my favorite fabrics) with the swirly stripes for the other pipe pieces.
Stay tuned: on Wednesday, the whole quilt!