Back in 2012 I made a bunch of 6" cyanotypes from some photographs I'd taken on one of our trips to Asilomar. It was a lot of fun, and you can read about it here, but I never knew what to do with them.
A month or so ago I thought I needed a center block for this year's Cotton Robin, so I pulled one of the blocks out and did some improvisational piecing around it to make it up to size. When I was finished though, I decided I liked it too much to send it off for the round robin. Incidentally, I made another block for that only to realize that I'd neglected to officially sign up this year. Anyway, I started pinning the rest of the cyanotypes on my wall to see if I could make a small quilt with them. There weren't very many, but I just kept rearranging and rearranging and piecing and cutting and piecing until I had something I liked. It was a very freeing way to work, I don't do a whole lot of piecing and it was fun to find old scraps and make little groupings.
I wound up with this final composition- lots of different types of piecing but it was fun to assemble. Come back next week to see the quilting and the finished piece!