Thursday, November 21, 2019

I like #140

I'm a bit late getting things together today, but there are still a bunch of great things to like this week.

1.  I loved getting to work on some quilts this week!  I finished this one (except for the good pictures and the blog post), and I worked on another one that is mid-process.  Super fun!  And I'm about to the time of getting to start something new which is always fun.

2. One of our bloggy friends (sorry I can't remember who it was) shared some great pictures of a granddaughter dressed up as Raggedy Ann and it reminded me of the dolls my mom made me! EDITED:  It was Roseanne's darling Addison who was Raggedy Ann!  My mom was always a great sewer, and back in the early 80s she made several dolls for me and my sister.  Often they were in pairs, or one memorable time she made them with one of her good friends, so all four of us kids had coordinating dolls.  Raggedy Ann is there on the left, Martha is there in the middle (Martha is my middle name), and Linda is on the right.  Martha was really cool because she's real baby size and has articulated arms and legs and wore regular baby clothes.  The story is that the dress she's wearing now is actually the dress I was baptized in, but I'm not sure whether that's true.  The dress Linda is wearing was also one mom made.  These three ladies live in my studio on my bookshelf, and it makes me happy to get them down and share them;  I have lots of fun memories of playing with them, and they remind me that my mom is awesome.





3.  I love my Christmas Cactus!  With just a few flower free weeks since the end of never-ending Dahlia pictures, we're almost to the time of never-ending Christmas cactus pictures.  It makes me so happy every year when the buds come back, I always breathe a sigh of relief.  I'm not sure why, since the Christmas cacti are fairly low maintenance and always bloom, but it's just gratifying when the buds pop up.


4.  I just got my copy of Magic and Memories: 45 Years of International Quilt Festival.  It's a beautiful hardback book written by my bloggy friend Teresa Duryea Wong and chronicles the history of IQF.  I haven't had a chance to fully read it, but it's filled with tons of gorgeous quilt pictures as well as what looks like excellent history and storytelling related to IQF.  Super fantastic!


5.  Got some good snuggle time and walking time with the pups this week.  We also did our annual let's-all-try-to-get-in-the-picture for the Christmas card picture.  Pretty much a fiasco, but at least there is this cute picture of Bentley.


6.  The sunrise was gorgeous earlier this week-  this pic is straight out of my iphone- no editing at all (too bad it's a little out of focus).  The colors were super vibrant and it made me happy to see them.


7.  I really enjoyed looking through the Nikon Small World winners for this year.  It's an annual microscopy contest and that may sound boring but the pictures are gorgeous and really really cool.  Take a look here.

I hope everyone is having a good week!!  Click over to Lee Anna's for more things to like!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Yes, it was my little Addison who was Raggedy Ann for Halloween. Your mom is certainly a talent - I can see where you get it from - as all the dolls are wonderful. LOVE seeing the photos of the cactus about to bloom. Mine in too - and you have a double-blossom possible. Ooh, can't wait to see them open. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute dolls. That cactus will be gorgeous when it's in full bloom! That sunset is so colorful. Heh - I know the fun of animal wrangling for Christmas photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a gorgeous sunrise! I love it when there's a surprise like that. Loved your dolls, too! My mom also made dolls - the Little Women for me and my sisters when we were growing up (I have Jo) and Raggedy Anns and Andy's for the grandkids. They all come out at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful sunrise and they do seem more vibrant this time of year. Wonderful memories of the time of dolls. No not all Christmas cacti bloom; I can vouch for that. Mine is blooming for the first time in several years and I don't know why. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, those dolls bring back memories. I made my three nephews Cabbage Patch dolls when they were little - you could buy kits and make your own - I think I can still feel my finger pain while pushing the needle through that thick neck! But they loved them. How fun that you have your dolls to remind you of your mom and her creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous sunrise. Sweet dolls and awesome memories. LOL pictures with the dogs. Kind of like trying to get a picture with a kitten. Your quilt is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the dolls, love the sunrise, love the whole post!!! Bentley is adorable!!! :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete