I started by painting some white crushed velvet in this sort of tie-dye-esque pattern. I layered it with batting and backed it with a piece of orange silk from a sari.
The piece was big enough to cut into three panels to cut on the laser cutter at OU Norman, so after quilting the sandwiches, I took them down and cut out a bunch of petals. Below you can faintly see the cut lines.
I loved the orange that peeked through when you folded the petals forward, but having all the same orange made it feel flat, so I used Shiva Paintsticks to add some shimmer and variety to the petals. Here you can see the backs of all three panels with the petals painted.
Like the previous piece, I decided I didn't want to have white wall behind the petals, so I backed the already quilted piece with pink sari silk, and then painted the little pink windows to give them some variety of color.
Check back on Monday to see the finished piece!