Monday, January 27, 2020

Kirigami #1-Finished

Last week I blogged about a new experimental quilt I was working on using the laser cutter and today I'm here to follow-up with the final piece.

I decided to mount it on a piece of wood, both so that the white wall wouldn't show through and to give it some structural stability.  I mentioned in the last post that even with fabric stiffener the fabric loops were floppy, so mounting it on wood (with little finishing nails) really helped.  Of course I have no pictures of the second half of in progress stuff, and not even very many details, so blogger fail.  And of course now the quilt is at my mother's since she will have to take it to Santa Fe if it gets into the show.

It's definitely very abstract, and my mom and I brainstormed for a title for quite a while.  It makes me think of baskets, and fantasy world shields, and star wars hair, but none of those things seemed like they'd make good titles.  Finally I decided to just go with Kirigami #1 since I expect I'll make a few more in this vein as we go forward!
Kirigami #1, c. 2020 Shannon Conley, 36 x 18, photo Mike Cox


The edge is finished with a couched yarn.




3 comments:

  1. I love the end result and I admire your perseverance to solve the problem. Glad there will be more in the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! It looks so beautiful and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous. I love how you mounted it, and the fabrics you painted and your quilting just WOW!

    ReplyDelete