Since I knew I wouldn't be able to fill in the whole canvas, I started with a picture taken during a summer hike to Sierra Blanca peak. I think it was my birthday weekend of 2003. This shot was snapped right before the push up the last little part, after hiking to the top of the ski area.
I printed it out on a transparency and then monoprinted it on interfacing-backed muslin as I described here. It gives a pleasingly imperfect look, quite different from that which you get printing directly on fabric with the printer (although I do that too). For this project, where I was going to embroider over some but not all, I wanted the more textured look which comes from the monoprinting.
|After monoprinting, before stitching.|
Then I just started embroidering away! It isn't completely filled in but I had lots of fun. I used regular embroidery floss, perle cotton, and wool, and several different stitches.
To finish, I layered it around matboard (with a single layer of supporting batting to fill it out a bit) and popped it into a frame. The back has a label telling about it and the picture.
I'm really a novice embroiderer, so I had no idea what would be expected for this swap, but I like the way this turned out and I hope my partner does too!
|Sierra Blanca, 2014, Shannon Conley, 9x12|