Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Bentley the Rainbow Dog: Finished

Earlier this week I talked about collaging my Bentley quilt and today I'm sharing the final piece!  I went with a double border of the two turquoise fabrics I'd bought, and I tried them in a bunch of orientations (polka dots inside? outside? inside on half?) and settled on this.  I really like the polka dot fabric it feels like a nice contrast to the tiled floor background.  I had to re-do part of his tail because the end of it was turquoise and it was getting lost in the border, but you'll never convince me there's too much pink.  I quilted it fairly simply since the colors are so vibrant and then bound it in my favorite bright orange armadillo print, some of which is included in his hind end.

Bentley the Rainbow Dog, c. Shannon Conley, 2018 38" x 41"
Bentley the Rainbow Dog, c. Shannon Conley, 2018 38" x 41", detail


I love his face and tongue, but I think my favorite section (mostly because I know how long it took to get it to look right) is his front paws.

Bentley the Rainbow Dog, c. Shannon Conley, 2018 38" x 41", detail

Bentley the Rainbow Dog, c. Shannon Conley, 2018 38" x 41", detail

Bentley the Rainbow Dog, c. Shannon Conley, 2018 38" x 41", detail

I had it pinned to the bottom of my design wall to keep it out of the way and thought I'd capture a quick picture of Bentley-for-real with Bentley-the-quilt.  But now it's hanging in my dining room where I can see it every day.





I love the way he turned out.  I'm not sure he's got a particular rainbow personality, (though it is a very snuggly bouncy lovey personality), but I certainly have a rainbow personality and it suits me very well.  I'm so glad it's finished!  Have any of you made pet quilts?  I've made a few different ones now and it's always fun.  I'd always rather be with dogs than without!

6 comments:

  1. Great job on Bentley! I also noticed his front paws and can appreciate the time it took to get those just right! The Quilt is a great likeness of him and very fun! I also took a class from Susan Carlson this Sept in Sisters OR and did a quilt of my dog Beau (Pomeranian). I still have the quilting to do as soon as I’m healed from surgery on my shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your rainbow dog quilt! I always enjoy rainbow quilts and this one of Bentley is great. I have never done a pet portrait quilt but this is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I did a quilt of my cat many years ago, but I did it in her real colors. Your rainbow version is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He came out fantastic! Not as handsome as the real thing of course. He looks like he likes it

    ReplyDelete