Thursday, May 5, 2022

I Like #256

 Welcome to another week of things to like!


It's a bit hard to like anything right now after the horrifying (but I guess not surprising) leaked draft Supreme Court Ruling.  Let's just set the clock back 50 years why don't we?  It's just horrible horrible horrible horrible.

In other news,  this week has been the annual SAQA virtual conference, and that has been wonderful.  It kicked off with an amazing keynote speech by artist Janet Echelman.  Her work is absolutely amazing, and if you haven't seen it before, I encourage you to check it out.

Janet Echelman, Earthtime 1.78 Vienna (https://www.echelman.com/#/178-vienna/)

The SAQA conference in general has been really great.  Lots of great talks, studio tours, lightning talks, chatting/networking/friend making sessions, etc.


Also a couple of really good things on the forefront for some of my artist friends:

Kathy Suprenant (also a cell biologist scientist) currently has a solo show at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum called What Did Ming Miss.  I'm so excited for her, it's a really great group of pieces, and she's giving a free, open-to-the-public Zoom talk about it this Sunday May 8, at 3PM ET.   I'd encourage you to go if you're available, it should be really cool!  You can read more about the series and pieces in the show here.

Mother’s Day Tribute to Ming the Clam (even clams have mothers)

Sunday at the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum

Date:  Sunday, May 8, 2022 

Time: 3:00 PM Central Time

Zoom Link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/88958141478?pwd=QmwyZTNwUm5penp1YUNIdVpxMUJhQT09



In European quilt news, my friend Jette Clover has a solo show for the month of May at the Galerie Zone-Galerie Voor Kunst en Vormgeving in Leiden in the Netherlands.  If any of you are going to be traveling in that area this month, definitely stop in and see it, her work is wonderful.

In more local news,  Cash came over to play with Spooky this week and all three dogs had a great time.  Spooky and Blue are going to New Mexico this weekend to stay for the rest of the month while I have some work travel, so it was good to get to play with Cash some more before going.  Blue was there too- he just didn't get in the picture.





I made very tasty cupcakes for the occasion, I love this chocolate cake recipe.


We've had three days with severe/tornado weather this week, and I just got my TV fixed so I can watch regular local channels (rather than just netflix) which is nice, because on severe weather nights you just leave the live weather guy on for hours in case you need to go to the shelter.  We've been lucky so far, but there were several tornados causing quite a bit of damage last night, but not very close to us.


The dahlias in this garden bed are growing pretty well.  It'll still be quite a while before they bloom, but I'm glad they'd gotten fairly established before this week of terrible storms.



And! The most exciting thing to happen was I got my car back this week!  I'm so excited!  I had to clean out my garage so I could get both cars in there (see above tornado/hail weather), but I'm just glad to have it back.  I'll be returning my mom's car to her soon.






I hope you guys are finding some things to keep your days a little bright if you can!  Click over to LeeAnna's to join the group.




2 comments:

  1. Janet Echelman's art is impressive! Those chocolate cupcakes look delicious. Ugh, tornadoes. Stay safe! Your garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet Echelman's sculpture is amazing. Have a safe work trip, scary storms. It is always nice to have some way to keep on top of the weather.

    ReplyDelete