Friday, May 25, 2012

Curve Stitching

When I was a kid, my mom taught me to use graph paper to draw these really fun curvy designs using only straight lines.  I used to really enjoy making as many different shapes as I could.  A few years later, my mom got me this book, Curve Stitching, which incorporates both specific designs, tips for drawing your own designs, and instructions to stitch them.  As a kid, I never sewed any of the designs I drew, but something possessed me to get the book back out the other day and try stitching one of them.



I drew the design on freezer paper and then ironed it on to some linen-like fabric I'd previously bonded to a layer of fusible interfacing.  I put the whole thick thing into an embroidery hoop and stitched from the back (the freezer paper side.  I used a variety of different green threads and tried to keep them straight to make a pattern.  It was really fun to stitch since I couldn't see the right side.  I'd turn it over every so often to watch the pattern emerge.




After finishing the curved stitching, I decided to set it into a foundation pieced spiky New York Beauty style ring.  I used a bunch of different green/yellow scraps and the linen to piece it.  Sadly, my points are pretty terrible.  From afar, they look ok, but not so much up close.  I quilted it with more or less straight line echo quilting. It got weirdly rumpled so the center sticks out a bit like a plate.








It's pretty modern looking, so I think I'm actually considering it my first modern (mini) quilt.  Hooray.  It's for my mom for mother's day.  I hope she likes it in spite of its imperfections!

6 comments:

  1. love this! i'll have to look this book, looks like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow!! love your designs...the sunburst and the stitching. i'm not seeing any imperfections!!!!!!!! i just ordered the book on amazon as it will be fun to share with my grandkiddos and their moms. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember doing those curve designs as a kid!!! Great idea!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe!! Love the colors and the unique ... spin.

    Thanks for the peek ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning!I think she will LOVE it!

    I like to sew these designs on cards. I measure and mark the dots on the back of the card stock and sew using a tiny needle and metallic thread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is SO COOL! like the comment above, i've seen stuff like this done on paper, but it's so fantastic on fabric. congrats on your first mini modern quilt!

    ReplyDelete