I did finish assembling (fusing but not sewing) the background, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I almost feel like I should stop now, lest I ruin the whole thing.
In an attempt to determine what would be the best thing to use for subtle shading, I made a test block. The red arrows show where I shaded with different colored crayons, the green arrows are "shading" with sharpie (less successful), and the blue arrows are shading with colored pencil.
I was going to go with the colored pencil as I thought it gave a pretty nice subtle look, but then my mom suggested India ink. She's just come back from a class with the fabulous Betty Busby, and apparently that's one of the things she uses for shading faces. So I got a bottle, diluted a little bit, and applied it to another test bone. I definitely prefer the look of the ink, so I'm glad I tried it out!
Up next, actually tracing and shading all the bones. Could take a while, there are a bunch of them! Linking up with Lee as usual! Hope you guys are having fun and making progress on your WIPs!