Monday, August 20, 2012

Ahhhhs.....

While I'm gone I thought I'd share a couple of pictures of the hand project that's been following me around the world the last couple of months.  Inspired by the lovely Tonya over at Hillbilly Handiworks, I decided to kick my English paper piecing up a notch.  She has been presenting an awesome series of English paper pieced blocks (called Ahhs), you guys should totally check it out.

I was getting bored with regular hexies, so I decided to make a block based on her  Ahhh #4 Little Girl's Star and is a bit like Ahhhh #25, Seven Stars.  She mentions that this block was first published in 1950.  You should check out her version, I love the way she fussy cuts the fabric to give a nifty kaleidoscope/snowflake effect.  I went with a more geometrical version.




The whole thing is about 7" across, so each of the pieces is pretty small.  I thought it was going to be finished with this much (I figured I'd hand quilt it to be a mini-mini-quilt), but it just doesn't feel done.  I have it with me on this trip to add some more layers around the outside.  I love the rainbow of colors with the black and white (of course the ugly white basting thread will come out when I remove the papers).  It's been a fun, small thing to carry around and stitch on,

2 comments:

  1. looks great! I love the bright contrast of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is an oooooohhh with your aaaaah!!!!!

    It looks so great! I love that inner layer of light gray with the contrasting dark gray!!!

    ReplyDelete