However, the fact is, I've now finished the quilting, so the project is definitely farther along than when I posted last! I think the last picture I showed was this one of the top assembled but before I'd added the final flower buds.
Part of why progress on this was so slow is because I've been using 12 wt top stitching thread to outline and echo all of the applique pieces. Some of them are even outlined twice (once on each side of the satin stitching). Unfortunately, my machine does not like to free-motion with this thread, so I've been pushing the mass of the quilt around and around and around and around under the throat plate.
In addition, you can't really backtrack with the top stitching thread (it's really obvious and heavy looking) so that adds to the stops and starts. Finally, on things like the yucca leaves where you might think you could just start once and go back and forth, you can't really because they're only ditched on one side of the leaf (although the echoing is more continuous). All of this was my own fault in terms of the design, so I'll definitely know better next time.
After finishing all the top stitching thread, I did some more echoing with Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle. I love this stuff, it has the heavy feel of the top stitching thread (and is sparkly) but works free motion since I put it in the bobbin.
All the background quilting is really simple, just horizontal or vertical swirls depending on the location. It's quilted much less densely than most of my pieces, a choice I made because of the background fabric. In the first place I wanted to preserve the rumpled look of the background fabric as much as possible, and in the second place, because of the texture of the background fabric, I felt like detailed quilting would have been really out of place.
The only place I have "interesting" quilting is in a couple of horizontal bars where I've stitched in a repeating yucca moth design. I wanted to include the yucca moths somewhere; they live inside the flowers and pollinate them, but more appliques felt out of place. I thought the repeating pattern was kind of fun, almost like echoes of an Egyptian or Arts and Crafts border.
I'm really pleased to be moving forward on this even if it's been frustrating at times. I've blocked and squared up, but unfortunately I forgot to take pictures when it was on the wall, so these were taken while it was laying on my work table. I've just got to do the facing, label and pocket (oh if it really were "just"), and then I'll show some final pics and move onto a new project!