Thursday, September 20, 2018

I Like #84

Welcome to another week of I Likes!

1.  I like flowers!  This comes as no surprise to anyone of course.  My dahlia is blooming nicely, even though we aren't really having fall yet, but also this giant purple thing is growing through into my yard from my neighbor's.  I'm not sure what it is, but it's a huge bush and it has beautiful purple flowers.  It's kind of annoying that it's growing through the fence (I think it's actually messing up the pickets), but the fence is getting old anyway and the flowers are very pretty.  One even had a cool bee on it!



2.  Becky came up with the kids this weekend and we had a ton of fun.  I didn't get very many pictures but I did snap this one at the Science Museum.  They had a giant person sized Lite Brite, and we had lots of fun playing with it.  Anna is all about patterns right now and she made several on the lower section while I spelled out her name above.  I love getting to see them, but the next time will be Thanksgiving.



3.  I love origami and paper art.  While at the science museum I was able to see this AMAZING exhibit of origami and paper art.  This is an art form with which I'm particularly enamoured, and it was really fabulous to see not only the intricate pieces but also the variety from artist to artist.  Much like any other medium, you can really see the individual artistic voices come through.  I've tried to put artist names below when I could.  Really one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time.  This is in their rotating exhibit space, so anyone in the area should try to go see it soon.

Eric Demaine and Martin Demaine


Nguyen Hung Cuong

Beth Johnson



4.I love plants!  This is one I got this summer, but I took the picture because I finally got it hung up!  I also really like old school macrame, and I made a plant hanger a few years ago for a plant in the other room, but I had a terrible allergic reaction to the jute fibers.  It doesn't bother me to have the hangers in the house, but making them (as you knot the fibers really get aerosolized) is off the table now.  Mom was going to throw this one away that she made decades ago, so I snagged it from her while I was out in NM, and am thrilled to get it hanging!



Thanks to LeeAnna for linking us up!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! I used to do macrame way, way, way back in the 70s. That plant hanger looks like it is from that era. I'm sorry you can't make them yourself, but I'll bet there are plenty of them around for you to enjoy. It does look very nice hosting your new plant! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. to my eyes, this looks like butterfly bush, which is sort of like a weed in it's endurance. The paper exhibit is so cool, I'm going to send your link to some paper loving friends. But... the light brite!!! I had one and it was pure joy to play with as a child. I even did a lite brite inspired quilt once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That paper exhibit looks fascinating! I loved the lite brite, too - what fun to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lite Brite! Excellent. That paper stuff looks so cool, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The exhibit is beautiful, especially the jelly fish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't know the plant but it sure is pretty! I love that lite brite!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete