Thursday, February 7, 2019

I Like #101

It's Thursday again which means another week of things to like.  It's been grey and overcast (and today very very cold an icy), but I did get to spend all day Saturday outside which was a real treat.    So a few things to like:

1.  I like cleaning up and out!  This time of year lots of people get on this bandwagon, and I've been doing some cleaning out at home, but mostly this weekend my friend and I did it at church.  We have one large dedicated closet for youth group supplies, 12th night costumes and Christmas pageant costumes and it has been bursting at the seams for the past several years with so much junk that no one could even find all the things we had for those events.  I think part of the reason junk accumulates so much there is because everyone thinks the stuff might belong to one of the other groups, but so much of it doesn't!  This past Sunday my friend Elizabeth and I bit the bullet and cleaned out the closet.  We filled my car up twice with garbage and now the closet is really delightful.  Things don't fall on you when you open the door and everything is easy to see and find.  So gratifying. 

2. I like my plants!  This weekend planted some horseshoe cactus seeds harvested from some cactus fruit my dad picked up in the desert in January, and I hope it sprouts!  I've never grown cactus from seed so we'll see if I'm successful.  Nothing is blooming right now, but many of my indoor plants are flourishing including this one at work that my friend gave me when she moved.  Hooray for greenery and photosynthesis.


3.  I like unexpected projects!  I'm participating in the cotton robin swap again this year, and I thought I'd dig out some old experiment to make my center block.  In digging through old drawers I found a bunch of six inch blocks I'd cyanotyped several years ago.  You can read all about it here. Anyway,  the process was fun but I never did anything with any of the blocks except one which I turned into my SAQA donation quilt for 2013.  So when I found the remaining blocks (there were six or seven), I thought one would make a great center for my cotton robin block.  So I pieced this up, but then decided I liked it so much that I wanted to do something with all the blocks, so I just kept piecing. Here are a few in progress shots but I now have a whole small wall quilt pieced and ready to quilt!  It was a fun an unexpected project and I'm so happy to be using these printed blocks!  I should do some more of these, it's a fun way to use photos from trips. 



4. And speaking of SAQA donation quilts, this week I blogged about my 2019 donation quilt.  We had to submit them early because our kind regional SAQA reps have organized shows for them prior to shipping them off to SAQA.  Here's a sneak peek, for more, click over to this post!


5.  Of course I love my pups!  They're doing fine, loving the snuggles and ball playing.



I hope everyone had a good week!  Click on over to LeeAnna who keeps us all going!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Look how good those puppies are sitting, waiting for you to throw the ball! And your plants look fabulous. I can't wait to hear if your cactus experiment works or not. My friend told me to put my cactus away from the window for a few weeks and then bring it back and give it some food. She thinks it will bloom for Easter. I have my doubts - it has never bloomed any other time than near Thanksgiving, but I'm going to give it a go. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. You recently found blocks are amazing! I am ready for Spring and blooms....be gone, Winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always nice to get a closet cleaned out! I stalled out on my cleaning, need to get back to it. Love the greenery. We need it at this time of year. Hope your cactus works. Have a wonderful Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big fan of photosynthesis here too, LOL. I will be interested in whether those cactus seeds sprout. But Looking good. Funny about cleaning out...when you do it you wonder why it was put off. It feels so good. Again you have such interesting projects on the go. Pretty sand and sea colours and stunning looking stitches on black.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your SAQA donation quilt is beautiful, Shannon! I love the colorful quilting on the black background. Your plants look really happy! Green is always a good thing this time of the year, isn't it?! Cute photo of your pup peeking over the back of the couch, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puppers! They are so cute. I enjoy your quilting projects - always such neat stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such great likes! Love your puppies in their photo, they look so serious :D!~ Can't wait to see your finished pieces! Have a great week! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon - I can relate to the cleaning up and out - I finally started working on our utility room today, and have a stack of items to take to the dump when I go this week! Your pups are adorable - who can deny those eyes? Thanks for your recent visit to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg those dogs.... and your photo... so well done! The perspective, the repetition of expressions... a beautiful art photo! Your donation holey quilt is so you and interesting... but that "species" quilt! well, you're quite an artist. My fave is the cyano- quilt... very calm and interesting in the realism all in blues. I have to pass on your blog to my artsy friends! Again!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete