Thursday, June 20, 2019

I Like #119

I'm grateful to say it's been a fairly good week here.  We've still been having rain every single day, but it usually comes in the form of thunderstorms between 1-3AM.  Frequently this wakes me up, but does also mean that the days have been sunny and warm.  My plants are still a little too wet, but I think they're recuperating a little bit.  No pictures of my flowers, but the marigolds are looking great,  the zinnias and dahlia plants are still growing, the blackberries are ripening, and I planted some lantana in the bed where my other stuff didn't come up.  Not sure how that will do, that bed is very clay-y, and when I dug a hole there was standing water just a little way down. Yick.

So some things to like this week:

1.  Royal Ascot is this week! In spite of growing up in a horse racing town, I have less than zero interest in horses and horse racing. However, Ascot is the millinery highlight of the year and I love looking at all the hats.  They're like fascinating fiber sculptures which to me is really cool.  If you're interested, check out the blog Royal Hats, she covers the hats worn by royals, but also tons of other hats in the daily wrap-up posts and comments section. 

2.  I love the pups!  I took Blue to the dog park last night where he had lots of fun playing with all the other big dogs.  I'm taking him and Bentley to my sister's this weekend and I wanted Blue to have some other dog play time before that.  I didn't get any pictures, but it was fun.  There was also a smallish dog there playing with a soccer ball!  The ball was almost as big as she was, but she sort of dribbled it between her front legs.




3.  I had to go to a local work conference last week.  It was pretty boring, but they goody bag did have this tasty OK shaped chocolate which made me smile.

4. I went to pick up my friend on Saturday and was reminded how much I love his place.  He lives in a beautiful old house from the  1920s.  The inside is really lovely but the outside is fabulous.  Lots of wrought iron and beautiful trees.  It feels very much like a haunted house.  Sometime I'll take a picture where you can see the house, but I loved his sort of overgrown front walk (you don't enter that way) and the pretty pink flowers.




 5.  I made some progress on my Lord's Prayer quilt, doing some faux trapunto quilting.  I like doing it this way, you basically quilt just certain regions with batting but no backing, then cut it away and layer with another layer of batting and backing before quilting like normal.  Then last night made a test sandwich and evaluated some 12 and 30 weight threads I'm thinking of using for the quilting.




6. I remembered to post about all my recent knitting!  My Deco drape shawl came out well, and you can check it out here.


I hope everyone had a good week with mild weather!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! I think it must be pretty darn cool there for you to be wearing jeans in mid-June! I love how your shawl came out - what pretty yarn. It's a good color for you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is really pretty...great photo and the one with Dog Kisses too!
    Those cone flowers are gorgeous...mine are still green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Royal hats are fun! I love that overgrown path to the iron gates. The gold and burgundy of that quilt is beautiful. Should be stunning when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The shawl is a beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, doggy kisses - you have to love them! :) Love seeing your projects, especially your Deco Drape shawl. Such pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your post and you are so lucky to get your rain at night! I love that puppy kiss photo! Your quilt is coming along wonderfully--that border is fantastic! Your shawl is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like homes built between 1900 and the 20's. Sweet pic of the dogs sleeping and kissing you. We get rain daily here too, in "dry' Colorado.

    ReplyDelete