Thursday, July 4, 2019

I Like #121

Happy 4th of July everyone!  I'm (hopefully) out watching the parade in Capitan, NM (original home of Smokey the Bear) and having a good time with my family.  Next week, I'm sure things to like will include those celebrations.

For this week, here are some things I'm liking:

1. The Smokey the Bear song!  Having grown up in the outdoors in a fire-prone place, Smokey the Bear loomed large as one of our key mascots.  I loved singing his song at camp or while hiking or in scouts. You can hear it here, skip ahead to 1:30 where the song starts:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myz93sXW66Y



2.  My first big dinnerplate dahlia is blooming.  I've never grown these before and even still incompletely open it's fabulous.  Can you tell I'm excited?  My zinnias are pretty too, but they have powdery mildew!!  Does anyone have any suggestions?  It's really awful, and I'm hoping it doesn't spread to everything else.





3.  I finished the baby booties!  I think they're still too big, but at least they're done!


4.  On Monday night, Mike took me out to Sushi for my birthday (delicious) and then I went to the local Irish pub to hear my friend Cliff sing.  It was a fun evening!  Lots of good folk music.
 

5.  I was looking for a missing unicorn headband (I never found it and am really sad) but I did find my old rainbow Conley's Trout Lakes hat.  It was a business my grandparents owned when I was a kid and I have lots of fond memories.  I never wore the hat because it was one of those with very defined points in the front,  but I stitched them out as best I could and I'm going to try to start wearing it!



6.  Last weekend I finally had a big chunk of time to work on quilting my quilt, which was very exciting.  It's slow going, but I love making progress.  


7.  The dogs left the sliding glass door open the other day and one of our back porch toads came into the kitchen.  I love having them back there, it makes me so happy to think of them eating some of the bugs that are so omnipresent this time of year.  Luckily I caught him and took him back outside.


8.  And my pups!  They really get me through everything!  I started walking them both together again this week which is really good.  And Blue loves to stand on the sofa with his paws up, he's at perfect hug-height that way!



I hope you are all having a great summer and have a fabulous 4th of July!




6 comments:

  1. A great roundup! THose booties are precious and your quilting is so wonderful. We have tree frogs back again and I'm happy to see them...part of nature. Your dinnerplate Dahlia is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me smile. I didn't know the Smokey song - I'm sure I must have heard it as a kid. I can see why you love the dahlia - that is impressive! You have a great smile under that hat. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Dahlia is just stunning. Happy belated Birthday. What a smart idea to sew on that hat bill to soften it. Very cool. Happy 4th! mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dahlia is gorgeous, Shannon! Love the rainbow hat, too! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from bears to toads to dahlias I want to paint. Fantastic list, and blue's face is sweet! Love the rainbow hat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful likes!!! I love love your dahlias! Unfortunately powdery mildew is seasonal hazard here on our zinnias and peonies. It doesn't usually spread to other plants but it isn't pretty either :( Hope you are having a great holiday!!!

    ReplyDelete