Thursday, August 15, 2019

I Like #127

Welcome to another (late) week of things to like!  It was a rough weekend around these parts because my house AC was out and we're of course in the peak heat of summer, but I had an AC person out and it turned out it just needed a new filter and some coolant so that was an unexpected blessing.  I do need a new system, mine is from 1991, but at least I can wait until the fall.

Still some really fun things to like!

1.  I love crabapple leather!  I've always just made jelly from crabapples (rather than pies or dried apples or cobbler or apple butter or applesauce) because they're too small to core and with jelly you squeeze the juice through cheesecloth so you don't get seeds etc.  But I already made enough jelly this year so I googled what other people do with crabapples and there were lots of people who made applesauce and crabapple fruit leather and crabapple butter.  Come to find out, all you need is a food mill, which pushes out pulp without seeds/stems/peels.  IT was super easy, I didn't even have to chop the crabapples.  Just cooked them whole, put them through the food mill to make crabapple sauce, and then spread the sauce on top of lined trays in my food dryer.  I like things really tart, but plain crabapple sauce is really too tart to enjoy, so I added just a little bit of sugar.  The fruit leather turned out so delicious.  Chewy and flavorful.  Like the very best kind of fresh sour fruit candy.  Sooo good.






This is the food grinder.  The front side spits out these little goose-poop like things made out of seeds and core and skin, while the sauce pours out the back.


And here's the crabapplesauce before drying


And after drying.  So fabulously bright from all the good stuff in the crabapple skins.  YUM.  Also the end of the crabapples for this year so that's good.

2. I like doing my own DIY projects!  I DIYed drop leaves onto my home-made work table this weekend to make it wider and convert the whole thing into an ironing surface.  I'll probably do a whole post about it, but it was so gratifying to figure out how and build it all myself.  Hooray!



3.  And in the continuing construction mode, I installed a small hook and eye outside the sliding glass door.  That way when I go into the building I can keep the house door shut from the outside so Bentley doesn't AC the backyard.  Five minute fix I should have done years ago.We'll see how it holds up,  I think it will be enough to prevent him from opening it.  He's gotten to the point now that he won't even go through the dog door (he just opens the door with his big bony head) unless I'm gone and the board is in the inside of the door so he can't open it.  He's like oh- it's easier to just open the door than hop through the dog door.  But of course he doesn't close it behind himself....   Precious precious infuriating dog.



Have a great week everyone, and head over to LeeAnna's to check out more positive stuff!



8 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon, totally in love with this idea of making fruit leather which as it turns out is so easy to make. We have one crabapple tree and I will keep my eye out for the fruit which is far from ripe yet. Yes, he is precious, really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that face. "Who? ME???" But he's cute so you forgive him almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. solving problems left and right. Using your creativity ! Bentley is wondering what happened???

    ReplyDelete
  4. That crabapple leather looks tasty. Bentley is a handsome fellow, even if he doesn't close the door behind him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That crabapple leather looks great. Do you have to refrigerate that or is it shelf stable? I like your DIY project - that looks like a useful table. Ah, sometimes the simple fixes are the best (your door hook). Yay for not ACing the whole outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are the DIY queen this week! My mom used to make something like that crabapple leather, you made me hungry for it, I think she made it with strawberries though, it was soooo good! I'm so impressed with your table!!! It looks fantastic!!! Have a great week~!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad to hear about how you use your crabapples! I think so many people let them go to waste. The fruit leather looks and sounds delicious! I'm so impressed with the sides you added to your table - that bigger space will be so useful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Shannon! I'm a week behind but I love that hook and eye on the sliding door. Has it worked well? I'm sure it's just the ticket to stop Bentley, although he's probably wondering why he can't open the door any longer. I love how you widened your table and only when you need it. Great job! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete