Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Halloween quilt

Over the past couple of weekends I have pieced two fall quilts, and today I wanted to share the results of the first one.  My goal was to use some of the fun fall fabrics I'd painted and sun printed in the workshop with Betty Busby.

 I made a bunch of stripsets using fabrics both from the workshop, from previous dyeing experiments, and from my stash.  Most of the stripsets were for a different project but I incorporated the leftover bits into this quilt.

This was actually two pieces of narrow border fabric cut off of the edge of an orange silk sari (they're stuck together in the middle here from the painting), so it made sense to use them as the border for the quilt.


This Nautilus guy I sunprinted and then painted wasn't particularly Halloweeny, but his fall colors made him feel thematically appropriate.


The spider web (seen here midprinting) was the central motif for the quilt.


This was taken while I was piecing,

All the fabrics are either silks or polyester satins, so the whole thing has a very nice shine and luster in person.  It's banner shaped (long and narrow), limited by the fact that I wanted to use those narrow pieces of sari border.  It was a fun, relatively quick and traditional quilt, and now I just have to find somewhere to hang it!


I love these middle randomly pieced sections,  they were assembled from all the stubby little scraps of stripsets I was determined not to waste.









2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I think it's not too Halloween so it works for the whole fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! What a FABULOUS piece. Perfect for the season, and wowee. Your quilting looks great. I love how all the small and big pieces came together. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete