Monday, August 31, 2020

Red White and Blue Quilt

 Some years ago I inherited a bunch of small squares, HSTs, and flying geese from someone (I can't even remember who).  They were clearly a started-then-abandoned project, but I don't think I had all of it.  I couldn't let the piecing be permanently abandoned, so back in April I pulled them out and decided to use them up in something.  I didn't really want to make any more blocks, it was definitely a design-with-what-you've got thing, but I did make a few more HSTs with some of the squares and added some of my own fabric for background.  

I've made red white and blue quilts before, including a very early (c. 2007) cheater lone star made out of HSTs (the mismatched stripes in the center drive me bananas) and a real lone star I made for Mike a few years later in 2011.



But I really much prefer bright clear colors for piecing, and all the fabrics in this set were sort of shabby chic style (by which I mean everything was faintly beige).  Lots of fun prints, just not my color style.  In the second picture below you can see two brighter blues on the bottom to HST stacks, that's only because I didn't have anything in that beigey RWB colorway and needed to add in a couple more HSTs. 



Here's what I put together,  it's kind of a weird shape, ~55"H and 38" W, but you could use it as a baby or lap quilt.  It's a little ruffly on the edges since I didn't block it, but quilting it was fun.




It's now folded up in my donation cupboard waiting to find the right place to donate it.  I'm glad to have gotten all those pieced blocks out of my stash!

2 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for saving the abandoned blocks,HST's and Flying geese. Thank you. I really really like your quilt!! The colors are amazing together. I just love the red & beige stripe fabric that has the little blue hearts on it. Your quilting is very beautiful. I hope to be able to quilt like that one day. Enjoy your day!! 🌻🦋🌞

    ReplyDelete