Thursday, February 4, 2021

I like #199

 Welcome to a list of things to like!

The puppy is doing super.  Blink an eye and he's run into the bedroom ad plopped himself on a pile of now-slightly-less-clean warm laundry.  Argh.  (but also heart eyes).



I got a new toilet installed this week.  I forgot to take a picture of it but it makes me very very happy.  Weirdly happy.  For several months in that bathroom you had to take the  tank lid off the toilet and flush using the lever arm inside, and then for several months that bathroom had no functioning toilet at all.  My house has two bathrooms and I'm the only one that lives there, so having the second one back working shouldn't make that big of a difference, but weirdly it does.  

I read this great interview this week with an artist who recreates famous paintings with her dog (!!) It's fascinating and hilarious at the same time.  Click through, there are a bunch of different ones and I enjoyed reading the interview.  

Recreating “Salome with the Head of John the Baptist” by Guido Reni (1638)  Recreation by Eliza Reinhardt



I dyed yarn with my spinner friend Melody this weekend.  We dyed a bunch of her handspun wool as well as most of the natural colored alpaca I had left from my aunt.  All the dye videos we watched were recorded pre-covid and they always remind you to put on your particulate mask before opening your dye powder.  Well joke's on them I guess since these days we all wear masks all the time!

The red you see below is a beautiful deep raspberry color in better light, it has a lot of color depth thanks to a fuschia underdye and a red/maroon over dye.  



These three are some small skeins of Targhee wool Melody spun for me,  they were an "experimental' dye batch.  It was supposed to be black/pewter/turquoise, but the black turned out that sort of barfy rose color. It's ok, I'll knit them up with something else and they'll come out fine. 


This was some rainbow speckle alpaca


And this is my favorite.  In person it's a very vibrant orange red, yellow underdye with red overdye.  It's alpaca and I can't wait to decide what to use it for.




And a final piece of very exciting news, I was super super lucky to be able to get my second dose of COVID vaccine this week.  The Health Sciences Center had extra right after Christmas after vaccinating clinical personnel and at that time statewide distribution channels weren't set up yet, so the opened it up to other employees/students.  Oklahoma is doing slightly better with vaccine distribution now, I know it's been a real struggle for people here to find places to get it, but lots of my elderly friends have now been able to secure doses so that's great.



I hope everyone is having a good week!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Love seeing the photos of the puppies. Yippee for getting your vaccine. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the vaccine! I hope you didn't have as rough a time with it as I did. But it's done! Warm clothing is hard to resist. I'd love it, too! lol. The dyed yarn is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe how can you be angry with that face? Love your yarn dying. Bobbin drags her bed right in front of the heat vent. I move it, then eye her laying on the heat vent. LOL Yay for getting the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your colors of yarn. Lots of joy in them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, so many pretty colors of your yarn! Yay for the toilet fix too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The yarn dyeing reminds me of a grandmother who spun and dyed yarn. One daughter did a science fair project on using natural sources for dyeing fabrics after talking to her. Things like moss, tea,vegetable peels,leaves, etc. She won two gold medals and attended two federal fairs with that project and had many artists chat with her about how she did it. They also loved the source being her great grandmother. Thanks for sharing that. Happy memories it has triggered. And I tell you what else is happy, those pups of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color of your alpaca yarn too, beautiful! I'm very happy for you, getting the vaccine is great!

    ReplyDelete