Friday, June 11, 2021

SAQA Auction Quilt 2021 etc.

 In going through my files this week I found a couple of small projects from the last couple of months that I don't think I blogged about.  Apologies if I've shared them and just don't remember, I'm not always great at tagging or finding things on the blog.  

The first thing is my annual 12 x 12 donation quilt for the SAQA auction.  SAQA is a really great organization; I'd encourage any of you who are art quilters to think about joining.  They have a wonderful array of educational materials for members, a phenomenal global exhibition program and exciting regional programming and exhibitions amid much else.  The annual fundraising auction isn't until the fall, but I made my 12" square quilt for it a month or so ago.  

Sometimes I have a clear idea what I'm going to do, or sometimes it's a smaller exploratory version of something larger I'm working on.  It's always fun to go back and look at previous 12 x 12s, some of them really stand out to me and some I can hardly remember.  Here are some if you want to take a peek: 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013.      This year I didn't have any strong feelings but I made it when I was feeling stuck on something else and I just wanted to get out all my bright and colorful fabric scraps.  I started by making a big swoosh on a piece of light background and then just laying out rainbow colored swooshy bits cut from my stash of fabric that already had fusible.  It was so much fun digging through those bins.  Some are hand-dyed, some are old ties or prom dresses that were cut up, some are just other silks and brocades and weird things from my stash.


After fusing down all the little bits, I put a layer of tulle over it and then quilted.  The binding is a favorite rainbow galaxy sort of print from an old Caryl Fallert collection.  It was all chunked up, so I loved being able to extract enough long pieces for the binding.





I had a lot of fun making this, and it really lifted my spirits.  I'll probably circle back around to it when the auction nears, but it's nice to work on some small discrete projects occasionally.



One of the other small projects from this spring was this clutch wallet I made for my mom for mother's day.  The pattern is from Sew Sweetness, it's from the Greenbacks Wallet Trio.  I love her patterns, they're really fun.  I made one for me a few years ago and gave it to my sister, and not too long ago my mom saw it and asked for one for herself.  She's always loved hippos and yellow which is probably why I bought this fabric many years ago, but I've never done anything with it.  This seemed like the perfect opportunity!!

Assembling always feels like it will be tricky, but is fairly straightforward as long as you take your time and go slow!




Aren't those hippos adorable!  





3 comments:

  1. I love Bright Forest! Love the colors and how you quilted it - an interesting combination of materials. That pouch is pretty cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects Shannon! I love the forest quilt and your quilting really sets it off! Yes the pouch is great but I also love that hippo fabric! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just joined Saqa a few months ago, and I've seen the call for the 12" blocks. Maybe I'll make one in the future. I've never quilted over tulle - does it slide around?

    ReplyDelete