Thursday, November 17, 2022

I Like #279

 Welcome to another week of things to like!


I'm in the earliest stages of figuring out how to migrate my blog over to run through my squarespace website, I'm so aggravated by not getting emails when kind people leave me comments.  It may take a little while, but stay tuned for that.


It's been a challenging few days here, late last week my parents suddenly and unexpectedly lost their beloved dog Jordy.  He was only 8, and evidently had an aggresive and unknown spleen cancer that had metastasized to his lungs.  He was the best good sweet friendly boy.  So very attached to my dad, he followed him around everywhere.  He loved to roll in all the smelly stuff in the forest and stayed right with you while hiking.  It was so tough on my parents to lose him, especially after already losing their dog Shooter a few months ago.





A week or so ago (before losing Jordy) my parents had rescued a stray puppy they found while hiking, but they weren't in the place for a new puppy so they took him to the local shelter. After Jordy passed, they felt like maybe the puppy was meant to come be with them, so they went and adopted him.  He's named Quark and is super adorable.  Here he is curled up with my parents' other dog Swatch.


Unfortunately, after only a few days he came down with Parvo.  Everyone has fallen deeply in love with him, and this just feels like one more emotional blow.  He's in the vet hospital and my dad is good friends with the vet and staff so we know he is receiving excellent care, but Parvo is hard on puppies, so we are all just praying he makes it through.

My puppies are fine, and they went and got extra parvo (DHPP) boosters yesterday since we are headed to my parents's place next week.



We have had several nights with hard freeze starting with last Friday night, so on Friday morning I went out and cut all the flowers that were left in my garden.  One last hurrah.




I'm so glad I cut everything because by Saturday morning this is what the garden looked like.  I'll need to do some garden cleanup at some point but so far I'm just enjoying the flowers inside.

Some good things this week amid the stress.

On Saturday night my friends and I went out to eat at a restaurant that's inside the lobby of this gorgeous historic art deco skyscraper in downtown OKC.  I'd never been in there before and it was just beautiful.  So many beautiful architectural details, I'd have liked to just wander around taking pictures.

Then yesterday I made a batch of red chile sauce in preparation for a winter's worth of posole-making.  I even managed not to get chile in my eyes.  The whole house smelled lovely while the chile pods were cooking.



I also blogged about a new quilt this week whose theme is trying to stay grateful.  Feels timely.  Read more about it here.



Thanksgiving is coming next week, and we're all just hoping and praying that Quark gets better.  
Click over to LeeAnna's to join the conversation, this community she's created is definitely something I'm always grateful for!














8 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! I am very intrigued about why you are moving blogging platforms? I would like to move mine as well . . . where to go, where to go?? Aww, I am so sorry to hear about Jordy. What a sweet boy and the pictures are lovely. It's so hard to lose your buddy and faithful companion. {{Hugs}} for your dad and you, too, and prayers for Quark. Good grief! I'm glad to hear your pups are fine. Happy Thursday. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! My deepest sympathies to your parents and all who mourn with them! How hard to lose one fur baby, much less two! Quark is precious and I’m glad he’s found a new home. We had a pup come down with Parvo many years ago
    (39 year) and he came out of it. I’m sure there’s been medical advancements and have been praying for Quark!
    Your flowers are lovely – a gorgeous last hurrah!
    Right? I love architecture and museums! Posole is a definite sign of winter!
    Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is breaking for your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences to your parents. I hope Quark gets better. He's such a cutie. You have beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so so sad about your parent's loss.... and then quark having illness. He's a sweet looking snuggler. Chilis sound good, have to look up posole
    Love, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad that your parents lost their furbabies. I hope the puppy makes it.

    I can almost smell the chile sauce you’re making. 🙂 Good cheer to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayers for Quark. I'm sure he'll pull through with all that good care and your parent's love. What a great way to save your flowers and so much beauty EVERYWHERE! Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smart to cut the last of your flowers. They're beautiful. I can't believe they lasted until the middle of November!

    ReplyDelete