Thursday, May 18, 2023

I Like #300



Welcome to another week of things to like!  I'm still behind on blogging about various projects,  I haven't been super productive and of course the spring was pretty much a wash artistically, but there are still some things I hope to share before too long!  Anyway, for now we just have a weekly update!

This weekend was our last OKC Philharmonic show of the year.  The orchestra played a new piece commissioned to honor the 100th anniversary of the birth of Clara Luper, an Oklahoma Civil Rights activits.  The piece was amazing, beautiful musically, with a huge choral component and a wonderful interplay between narration by Clara Luper's daughter and a wonderful guest soprano.  Really wonderful.  I was also really excited because the recording that the OKC Phil did of Jonathan Leshnoff's music (I mentioned that last week) is out now!  It's a fantastic cd, and is also available for download on itunes.  The whole album is great, but as I mentioned last week, I'm especially fond of the violin concerto.


Saturday was also graduation, the first in person since the pandemic.  My PhD program had six students who graduated this year, including one student from my lab.  Three of them participated in graduation and it was wonderful to be there with them and their mentors to celebrate and participate in the hooding.  OU gave us graduation regalia, but I had my U of A hood.  The OU gown was kind of rinkydink so I've been thinking about making my own for future years.  Weirdly there isn't much out there in the way of patterns etc.  


On Tuesday we got to go listen to a friend of mine who sings folk songs play at a local Irish pub.  It was really a lovely time too.  He has a great repertoire.

It's been raining non-stop, so everything is waterlogged.  Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday were clear so I hoped things would get to dry out some but this morning it was raining again.  My petunias are happy though.


The pups are fine, mostly just bringing as much mud in the house as possible.


LeeAnna's prompt for this week was:"have you ever had a close encounter with a celebrity? Seen someone in person, talked to them, etc?  please tell us the details!"  The only celebrity I've ever encountered was Neil Patrick Harris.  He went to the same church as my family when I was very young, and as a early elementary kid I was in the Christmas pageant with him.  Very shortly thereafter his family moved to Albuquerque, but it was fun for us to watch him become famous after that!

I hope everyone is hanging in there this week!  For more things to like, head over to LeeAnna's!






3 comments:

  1. you'll be needing an equity card soon, acting alongside NPH!
    we've taken to cleaning Milo's feet when he comes in, it's mud season
    how wonderful to share the achievement of learning with another, I be they really appreciate you, I do
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send your rain this way! We've had nothing but sun and dry, dry weather. My garden needs rain! Yay for graduations and folk songs. How cool that you knew Neil Patrick Harris - before he became Doogie Howser! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty pot of petunias! I need to get out and buy some flowers for my pots too. Soon all the pretty ones will be bought up & gone around here. Good to hear that in-person graduations have started up for you again. Lockdowns have gone on for too long in my opinion. Do you think I could hear the OKC Philharmonic cd on Spotify? I don't have iTunes.

    ReplyDelete