1. I like my dad! I like all my family really but I feel like he gets the short end of the stick on here because I'm doing so many fun crafty things with my mom that naturally lend themselves to blogging. But I'm lucky enough to have a pretty awesome dad too. It was wonderful to spend some time with him over Christmas, lots of singing together in the church choir, and we got to go out and shoot clay pigeons a couple of times. My mom always says I'm just like my dad, and he says I'm just like her, really, I think like most kids, I have some of both! I think they're most likely to say I'm like the other parent when I'm doing something about which they're complaining. He looks and sounds more like my Grandpa all the time, so maybe my resemblance to him will continue to increase as I age.
Here he is sitting with some of the vast hordes of dogs that were home over Christmas.
Here were were out shooting clay pigeons.
And here he is with my sister and me at Daddy Daughter weekend at Girl Scout camp (Camp Mary White) around 1989-1990.
2. I like unexpected treasures! While digging out a large sketchbook for me to use, my mom found this superfun spur-of-the-moment calligraphy pressed between the pages. It was done by her friend Bob Phillips, a New Mexico calligrapher. As you can see, it's on paper towel (nutty!) and was clearly in commemoration of some specific event. My mom said she'd completely forgotten about it (it's from 2009) but that it was from the New Mexico Arts and Crafts fair. So cool!
3. I like my mom's plants! Luckily I was home during most of this week, so you guys are spared more pictures of my Christmas cactus. Most of my mom's Christmas cacti were about done by the time I got here, but her sun/pool/plant room is full of wonders anyway. My favorites include this unidentified yellow thing, and this giant begonia tree.
4. I love hordes of dogs! At home over Christmas we had at varying times, the following dogs, never dropping below a total of 6, and often as many as 8. Frequent activity pauses for a dog count were necessary.
Belonging to my mom: 1. Jordy, 2. Shooter, and 3. Swatch.
Belonging to me: 4. Bentley, 5. Bullett
Belonging to my sister: 6. Checker, 7. Auto
Being long-term babysat by my mom: 8. Bones, 9. Dizzy
|Bones (he only has three legs)|
|Bentley (L) Jordy (R), Middle from front to back: Bullett, Swatch, Shooter, Dizzy|
|L to R: Bullet, Swatch, Shooter, Jordy|
|Auto (L) Checker (R), Jordy (distance)|
5. I love the winter birds! My mom has bunches of these small pretty birds at her bird feeder, I'm not sure what they are. And there's a roadrunner that lives in my Grandpa's front yard. He feeds it hamburger, and it turns its back and puffs up if you get too close.