Thursday, January 18, 2018

I Like #51

Things to like this week!

1. I like kids!  This weekend I got to meet up with the Junior Daughters of the King, a prayer and service organization for young women at our church to help them make blankets to donate; an especially timely project given how cold it's been lately.  We made some of the tied fleece ones and we also used some pre-quilted fabric that I pieced into large squares and then let the girls stitch binding onto.  They did a great job with the sewing machine and it was a wonderful afternoon. 

2. The doggies sharing the poof!  I never know what they're going to do, but this week they shared.

3.  This week the Fiber Artists of Oklahoma visited a fiber art installation at Factory Obscura called Shift.  The whole gallery was filled with all kinds of fibery things-  it was immersive and very cool.  This was one of my favorite rooms, I can't even describe it, but it kept changing colors and had all these touch sensitive light up things. 


I tried taking a selfie in there but the exposure was off.  


Another room was filled with these giant pod things of varying heights.  Some were so close to the floor that you had to sit down to crawl inside, others were open on the side like enclosing seats.  The outsides were made out of knitted and crocheted and felted fiber.




The insides were all different.  This one had a sort of undersea theme,  this picture was taken while I was standing inside one of those pods above.

And this was a cool glow in the dark tunnel to crawl through that went under some of the other areas.  All in all it was a really really nifty exhibit.  So so much creativity on display.


4.  I like working on my illuminated projects!  I've been focusing on dimensional work lately but took a short break to make my 12x12 SAQA donation quilt for the year.  I'll have a full post on it next week, but here's a sneak peek.  The background is all openwork, so what looks like white/grey is actually just my wall showing through.


5.  My begonia is blooming!  The blooms were bigger a couple of days ago, but by the time I took a picture some of them had fallen off.  Some of the leaves are dry and crunchy, I'm not sure if it needs more water of if it's just cold.  I keep the studio heated, but it's been so cold lately that I worry that the area near the window is just chilly.  One benefit of the cold weather is that I'm getting to wear my hand knits and crocheted garments a bunch!


Thanks to LeeAnna for linking us up!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,
    Wow - begonia in bloom! There is hope for spring. And those pups - don't they just look adorable. They were probably trying to stay warm. HAHA! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gallery installation is really something...lots to inspire and admire there! I like your selfie. Nothing cuter than two dogs sharing a poof!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun place to visit! But my favorite like was seeing the pups share the poof--too precious for words!!!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That art installation was really cool! Love the photo of the dogs sharing. And your stitching is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My begonia (it looks just like yours) bloomed a couple of weeks ago, but as you said, some of the leaves are getting crunchy/ I've had it since last spring so it doesn't owe me anything.
    That art installation looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the glimpse of the SAQA auction piece. I am just working on the Spotlight Auction one for the conference. Then I will do the 12x12. If I can get them both done before Feb, I can get back into making larger things w/out having to stop and fit in an Auction piece.

    ReplyDelete