Thursday, April 4, 2019

I Like #110

Hello again! 

Mostly springy things to like this week-  I didn't do much that was terribly exciting (filing taxes doesn't count), but there are still things to like.

My crabapple tree is blooming!  We had a late freeze last weekend, but I think it came through ok.


My redbud tree is blooming!  So pretty!




Over Christmas, my mom showed us some cute little quilted bowls she made for the purpose of holding onto your hot bowl as it came out of the microwave or oven or whatever.  I thought they were really fun, perfect for oatmeal or hot soup or something and figured I would make some.  But then I realized I already had the perfect thing!  I have a whole stack of these simple crocheted mats that my great grandmother made.  They're acrylic so you can't use them as true potholders for super hot stuff, but I typically use them under vases of flowers or something.  But some of them weren't flat, I guess she just didn't increase enough while crocheting or something and I'd never known what to do with those.  As it happens, they're perfect for preventing me from burning my hands on my Malto-Meal!  Thanks Gigi!



I haven't been very productive at home lately on the quilting front;  I've been stressed at work and by the time I get home usually just fall into my chair.  I did finish the banner for Becky this week though.  This is the back as I was getting ready to stitch the binding.  This week I've been building a stand for it and will take it all down to her on Sunday.  I think it came out really nice and I hope to get a full post up on it next week sometime.


So the birds are back and I finally got some pictures.  They'd been going through the food at a prodigious rate, and I realized why once I took some pictures.  There have been a few little cute ones, but mostly just hoards and hoards of voracious grackles.  The grackles are so pretty- black and purple and turquoise metallicky in color, but they're mean and chase off everything else.  I guess I need to switch bird food or something.





The pups are fine.  Blue didn't want me to sweep-  I think he was worried I was going to take outside all the dirt he had so patiently brought in.  No worries Blue, you'll bring back in just as much by tomorrow.






No tulips yet, but I think I have a pre-tulip!



Have a great week and check out LeeAnna's blog for more things to like.

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea crabapple blooms were so pretty. And, your very own tulips-how sweet.
    Enjoy Spring! mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh the crabapple blossom is so pinkly pretty. Blue's face! so sweet and connecting. Poor boy to have all his work swept away... well we've all felt that feeling! lol.
    Looks like you have lift off with the bulbs... color's coming soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Redbud tree, one of my favorite kinds of trees. Ah, those grackles! My aunt gave me a bird feeder for Christmas with a bag of something called Safflower seed. I'd never heard of it but reading the back of the package it said grackles and starlings don't like it. You might check into it. We have quite a few grackles around here and they are ignoring my feeder. Good luck! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the redbuds - wish they grew around here. Yours are full of Spring color! Your Blue has such an expressive face. I bet you just can't resist him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely things here especially for me seeing bloom even pre-bloom! Gorgeous to my eyes. Great bird shots. I don't know what makes that unique sheen to the grackles feathers. It is really beautiful. They sweep in here in a flock,stay a short while and then are gone.
    Great repurposing of Granma's cloths.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue! And a peek of tulips. yay. Your quilting project looks great.

    ReplyDelete