Thursday, March 28, 2019

I Like #109

Another week of things to like!  Spring has definitely sprung here, it's still crisp and cool in the mornings and has been warming up pleasantly during the day (though a bit windy).

I came home from dallas to discover there are daffodils in my yard!  I love daffodils, and they were one of my grandmother's favorites too!  I don't remember planting them although I guess I must have.  In any case they make me happy every time I arrive home.




My baby cacti have their first little spines!  I'm still not sure they'll make it in the long run, but they're growing now and I feel strangely proud that they've developed spines!  They're still tiny,  smaller than my pinky fingernail, but that's ok!


My redbud tree is budding and my apple and crabapple trees are leafing out.  Hooray!  The bradford pears are in full bloom-  I'm always of two minds about them.  They're really beautiful when blooming (and everywhere around here), but they're actually an invasive species, and more urgently they smell terrible.


The monsters are great.  Blue is as weird as ever.  


I was happily quilting along on the quilt for my sister when I flipped it over to see this.  If you can tell, that's the backing all folded up and quilted down badly.  This seems to happen to me pretty often, almost like a signature mistake.  And it was awful to rip out.  Invisible thread on satin on the back and regular thread on silk and velvet on the front.  I got it fixed though and am finished quilting this now.  More pictures to come soon.

.

And one more plant.  Sorry it's such a plant heavy week.  My euphorbia is flourishing again!  I almost lost it about a year ago and was really afraid it was completely dead, but it's going gangbusters now.  Hooray!  That's my mini-cactus greenhouse (egg carton) you see in the windowsill behind the euphorbia.


I finished blogging about my Blue quilt this week too, you can check it out here.



I hope you're all having a great week!  Click on over to LeeAnna's for more things to Like!


7 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Look at that goofball Blue. I always smile when I see your pups. L.o.v.e. the pictures of your plants and flowers - those cacti from seeds are SO cool. I'm cheering you on from here. Oh bother, I hate when that happens when you are happily quilting along and then you discover you have the backing folded under. My only suggestion to stop it is a) cut the backing fabric closer to the size you need without so much extra, or b) trying pinning the backing and batting together. It's less apt to fold under, and you would certainly feel the two layers together if it did. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. one year I planted a lot of bulbs, and they didn't spring up where I put them, the squirrels had moved them! Blue has made himself at home I see. That's good. Yea to the cactus babies, and the reblooming one. I just did the same quilting backing thing and it's heartbreaking to pick out! And re-do. Oy you'd think I would learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy seeing all the flowers and plants. Hooray for the baby cactus! The pups look quite comfortable. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Blue quilt is just beautiful, and Blue the dog is a hoot! Hooray for green and growing things - especially daffodils. They're my favorite flower, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That blue piece is amazing. I love seeing all those blooms and greens growing well. Lots to love here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goofy dogs! LOL, that's a great photo. Oh, pulling stitches from satin. Ugh. Daffodils! They have not started coming out here yet - I'm waiting for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we are seeing signs of spring here too! My dog Scout lies on the couch exactly like that too. They are so comfortable, aren't they ? :D Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete