Monday, March 18, 2019

New Quilt: Blue

Back in 2012 I made a bunch of 6" cyanotypes from some photographs I'd taken on one of our trips to Asilomar.  It was a lot of fun, and you can read about it here, but I never knew what to do with them.



A month or so ago I thought I needed a center block for this year's Cotton Robin, so I pulled one of the blocks out and did some improvisational piecing around it to make it up to size.  When I was finished though, I decided I liked it too much to send it off for the round robin.  Incidentally, I made another block for that only to realize that I'd neglected to officially sign up this year.  Anyway, I started pinning the rest of the cyanotypes on my wall to see if I could make a small quilt with them.  There weren't very many, but I just kept rearranging and rearranging and piecing and cutting and piecing until I had something I liked.  It was a very freeing way to work, I don't do a whole lot of piecing and it was fun to find old scraps and make little groupings.




I wound up with this final composition-  lots of different types of piecing but it was fun to assemble.  Come back next week to see the quilting and the finished piece!








1 comment:

  1. Very cool vision come to light. You've created a beautiful wonder.

    ReplyDelete