Thursday, February 6, 2020

I Like #150

Welcome back to another week of things to be grateful for.

1. I like in-person time with my friends!  My dear friend Linda and I got together for breakfast this morning and it was so wonderful to catch up in person.  She and I have been friends a long time and it's always wonderful to be with her in person.  Funny story,  last week I shared my mom's repaired Cocos, her chimp loveys from childhood (second picture below), and after seeing that post, Linda sent me a picture of her beloved childhood lovey- named Monkey!  They're virtually identical!  Monkey has more preserved fur than the Cocos and seems to have had fewer dog interactions, but it was so cool to me that they'd both hung onto such similar favorite toys!
Linda's Monkey

Mom's Cocos

2.  I like working on new things!  I got down to the laser cutter this week and was able to do some more work cutting some new fiber sculptures.  Every time I go down there I learn something new, this time it was that dashed lines in illustrator won't cut as dashed lines, so if you want perforations you have to do this big giant work around.  Now I'm working on the sculpting part and that's challenging too, but so fun to work through the challenges.  We had an unexpected snow day yesterday so I got to stay home and sew.  It was really fantastic, although I did spend a really unpardonable amount of time searching for my missing shiva paintsticks.




3.  I love music.  This last Saturday I had symphony tickets and it was a special program in honor/memory of the 25th anniversary of the Oklahoma City Murrah Federal Building bombing.  The first half was a gorgeous, a Bach fugue and a Chopin piano concerto.  The second half was even more moving, two pieces composed in memory of the bombing, one a spare, ethereal piece titled ruins, and one was a new commission for this occasion.  Everyone was asked to wear white, and the overall effect was really cool.  From both a musical and emotional standpoint it was my favorite yet.


4.  I love my birdies!  I have a little robin couple at the moment, I watched them yesterday eating out of the birdseed, I love the orange beak on the (presumably) female and of course the bright red male.  So fun to see them out there in the snow.




5. We didn't get a tone of snow, but a fair amount for us (we usually get ice in the winter), about 4 inches at my house.  It was enough for someone in the neighborhood to make a snowman!  Made me smile while walking the dogs yesterday afternoon.  The dogs don't love the snow but they don't hate it, mostly they are lazy and stayed inside snuggling all day.  But they were excited to go on the walk and pee on the nice white snow all over the neighborhood.



6.  I also blogged this week about a finished quilt featuring petals,  it's always exciting for me to do the final final final part of each project (blogging about it).  Read about it here and here.



Click on over to LeeAnna's to see more people who are finding things to like this week!




7 comments:

  1. Love your projects! The petals one is amazing! Now that I see Linda's monkey, I realize my uncle had one too--he's 6 weeks younger than me. Wonder what ever happened to it? Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your petal panels are amazing; like Mary, I've never seen anything like this. How novel and creative.
    Imagine how similar those loveys turned out to be. And to have a pair of cardinals visiting you is very special. Enjoy these lengthening days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cardinals! And such unusual quilts. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your projects are awesome. Oh your cardinals are gorgeous. Love your petals project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing your art-it’s so unusual. That symphony sounded like an outstanding event. I can’t believe it’s been that long since the bombing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, oh wow, your art sculptures are one of a kind. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are "cutting edge" for sure girl! I'm kind of stir crazy with all our snow and ice. The street glaciers are tall and bumpy and dangerous but no melting since it's snow on snow on snow here. The birds are a welcome burst of color, and your pups are so sweet together snuggling. I can see how Milo pees when there is snow... what a mess he makes!

    ReplyDelete