Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Kirigami #4: Creepy Crawlies-Finished!

Yesterday I shared about this latest installment in my Kirigami series and today I'm back to share the finished piece.  Even with fabric stiffener, this piece felt like it needed a little bit of extra support so I attached it (with tiny nails) to a wood backboard.  There were a few baby blue paint accents on the red quilt front, so I gave the board a very light wash with light blue acrylic paint to just tint it in a complementary direction.  I also thought the green arms were a little plain looking so I accented their edges and base with paint and polka dots.



Here's the whole finished piece.  I named it Kirigami #4: Creepy Crawlies, because even though the arms are sort of like pinwheels, the remind me of bug legs!  Interestingly, in normal RES domes, the center circle is raised up off the ground/backing, but even with stiffening, the fabric doesn't have enough structural integrity for the form to stay up, so the arms stick out from the background, but the red center circles are also nailed to the backing board.
Kirigami #4: Creepy Crawlies, c. Shannon Conley, 2020, 18" x 32", photo c. Mike Cox









1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon! Great job on your project. And not a single picture of the pups??!! I hope you are all doing well. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete