Thursday, April 2, 2020

I Like #158

Hi All!  In the middle of all our craziness, I have noticed that my likes are a combination of the very wide world (virtual) and the very close by (my backyard).  What a weird world.

1.  I'm loving all the zoom meetings.  I've "seen" more of my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) than in a long, long time.  Really fantastic!  We had a virtual birthday party for my Grandma last Friday night (she turned 92) everyone got to be there!  My cousin even announced that he and his long-term partner got married last week!  Congratulations to Doug and Victoria!  It's always made us smile because my parents are also named Doug and Victoria (though my mom goes by Vicki).  And on the other entertaining duplicate name coincidence, My sister and her husband are named Rebecca and Andrew, and so are their married best friends!  Funnily enough, they have opposing nicknames,  my sister and her husband are Becky and Andrew while their best friends are Rebecca and Andy.


2. And friends too!  We had a wonderful visit with a group of the I like bloggers and it was really fun to see everyone in person!  Would there be interest in doing another virtual meet-up?  Weekends are best for me but I can do pretty much any time except Sunday morning so if people want to comment when would work, I can set something up.

3.  Plants!  My mother of thousands, which usually reproduced by making new babies on the edge of its leaves has started to bloom with flowers!  They are gorgeous hanging pink blossoms.  I didn't even know it could bloom!!  She'll move outside as soon as it's warmed up just a little more.



4. And outside flora too! My apple trees are at that wonderful stage where lots of the blossoms are fully white and open but there are still lots of pink buds to add some color.  So fab. I potted a bunch of dahlia bulbs, marigold seeds, and zinna seeds this week in my two sad flower beds and in the containers I had.  My eyes were bigger than my desire to dig new beds when I ordered bulbs last fall, so I had some extra.  I decided to plant them in dog food sacks!  I hope it works well, and I like the idea of reusing them!




5.  The pups!  Duh!  They are really enjoying having me home but I think they wish I would play more with them and work less!






6.  Sewing!  I just finished up a four month push of new artwork for a show (that has of course been postponed now) and took the opportunity this week to do some piecing.  I got out my 11 years of valentines blocks from my mom and started piecing.  I used all stuff from my scrap bin, and it was really fun and freeing.  The 2019 and 2020 blocks have to wait until next year since I didn't have quite enough for another row.  I generally am not a piecer, but I really enjoyed working on these.  Maybe I'll make a scrappy quilt this spring just for fun.  We'll see.


7.  Embroidery!  I like free-form embroidery, and I started this prayer book cover almost two years ago.  I haven't worked on it much since about six months after I started it because I've been knitting in my handwork time, but I've discovered that Zoom meetings are a great opportunity for handwork.  There's a long way to go, but I'm enjoying it.  The background is actually an iridescent dark blue, not black.


I hope everyone is staying sane and has a good week!  Click on over to LeeAnna's for more positivity!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Oh, your plants are doing fabulous. I am afraid all of my work plants will be very dead when I finally get to return. It makes me sad, as one plant was given to me when my sister died. If that's the worst thing I have to deal with during the pandemic I will be very blessed. Of course, I love seeing the pups! Oh little ones cannot figure out why they can't go visit GG or go to Barnes & Noble for story time. Soon we will be able to return to our new normal, hopefully. Stay safe! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. just let me know when, I'm, er, here! So many people are still working from home or offices that weekends might be the best bet. That blue! he knows how to stretch out and relax. Milo wants Daddy to play not work from home, if he's here there should be chasing games going on not sitting in the office area! Mother of millions... oh I like that name. Pretty dancing flowers. It's snowing here right now.
    L.A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for picking up the embroidery again. It is a wonderful soothing past time. Lovely that you can get together over the net; an amazing thing for these very strange times. Take care now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your embroidery is very pretty. Love your Mother of Thousands plant. Thank you for facilitating the Zoom meeting, I had to miss it fixing a washing machine. The puppers are looking content that mom is home. Great likes as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning Shannon, so nice to see those pink flowers on your plant! Lovely! I love your sampler quilt and adore the embroidery stitches! Well done! Stay safe and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of a Mother of Thousands plant, but how fun that yours is blooming! Your embroidery is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh - what great likes. Your embroidery is pretty. I had fun with that zoom meeting, too! I would like to do that again. I am jealous of your apple blossoms. We haven't really started to bud here. And your puppers! Always a treat to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The embroidery on your prayer book cover is so pretty! I had a Mother of Thousands but it looked nothing like yours. I guess that's why there are botanical names. Enjoy spring! We need a little sunshine in our lives.

    ReplyDelete