Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Cloud Rim: Summer 1991, Finished

On Monday I blogged about a new smocked piece and showed the painted and quilted fabric.  Today I'll share some finished shots after I smocked it.


Here's the finished piece.  It's fairly large (and of course has to ship flat), finishing at 69" H x 44" W x 4" D.  You always lose a lot when smocking.  I decided to do the smocking on the diagonal which generated a parallelogram rather than a rectangle. 

It was quite tricky to mount and hang because the top and bottom points don't line up (since it's a parallelogram and not a diamond), and I wanted the smocking lines to be vertical.  I made a wooden frame for it which was challenging, and the piece mounts to it with velcro.  Of course I didn't take any pictures of the back, and it's a pain to take down once it's hanging, so for now, only pictures of the front.

 

Camp Cloud Rim, Summer 1991.  C.2020, Shannon Conley, Photo Mike Cox 69" x 44" x 4"






I love the swirly paint on the bottom tip!


The artist statement reads: The flexibility of cloth and stitch lends itself well to creating motion and texture; organic openings shift in shape, color, and depth. This piece is part of a series capturing places dear to my heart. I spent my childhood in the dry mountains of southern New Mexico, a place where the tiniest of creeks was cause for delight. So I well remember the urgency and excitement I felt when I got the chance to go to summer camp with a friend in Utah; a place with not only mountains and trees, but the new and wondrous experience of a lake.


I was sorry this didn't get into QN, but I love the way it turned out!


5 comments:

  1. Really cool. I love the colors and the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is amazing. Wish I could see it in real life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quilt National’s loss. It is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Just so lovely! It's an amazing piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Shannon, I just looked at last post and this.... it's a lesson in wonderful quilting design and paint application.
    I'm reading a book where the librarian finds a puppy (schnauzer and pit) in the book drop and her realization she MUST keep him... named him heathcliff

    ReplyDelete