Thursday, November 5, 2020

I Like #188

 Welcome to another week of things to like.  

After the crazy ice storm, we're back to nice fall weather here.



Amid all the election chaos and my massive push at work to get out my grant (biggest deadline of the year), the big news here is that I accidentally acquired a puppy this week.  He ran out in front of Mike's car and after almost a full week no one has come forward to claim him.  We think he's boxer, and he's super cute.  Mike couldn't keep him, so he's come to live with me.  His name is Spooky since he's our little Halloween pup.  He's very little, maybe 12 pounds-ish, and possibly about 2-3 months old. He's decided his favorite toy is my bathrobe which he tugs on constantly as I move around the house or try to sit at my computer to work. 


Blue and Bentley get along fine with him, Bentley mostly ignores him.  Blue likes to play with him (I'll try to put a video below), but gets a little tired of it by the end of the day, when the puppy still wants to play.  It's very annoying.  And his little teeth are very sharp as he plays.  I'm trying to teach him "no" but I'm all covered in little bite marks anyway.






Right now he's small enough that all four of us can fit on the sofa, but I expect he'll be too big for that in the future.


He's very anti-knitting, he loves to chew on it and run away with the balls of yarn, and tug on the end of the work.  It is not good.  I have to make sure he's somewhere else if I want to knit.  He also already chewed up my laptop charger which was not good.

We all seem to be able to walk together,  it's a little more chaotic, but nothing compared to Blue and Bentley who are much stronger and insist on going opposite directions.  He got seen by Mike's vet for some injuries he had (we think someone chomped him), but my vet was still out of power from the ice storm earlier this week, so we can't get in to see him until next Monday.


Here's Bentley in the sun.  Just because.


And a non-dog thing to like, I read an article about new analysis they're doing to understand the dyes and pigments in a fascinating illuminated pre-colombian Nahuan (Aztec) manuscript.  I thought it was so cool for several reasons;  first because I'm ashamed to say I didn't realize there were any extant manuscripts from pre-colombian societies in the Americas.  Second because I love illuminated manuscripts in general, and this one is so cool and beautiful looking, and third because I love the idea of using modern scientific tools to explore the techniques and methods ancient artists used.  Super awesome.  Of course there are issues surrounding the colonial aspects of a piece of art like this (and the eradication of the associated society), but from an artistic standpoint I'm so glad this codex was preserved!  Read more about it here:



I hope you are all hanging in there,  click over to Lee Anna's for more things to like!

9 comments:

  1. Glad you adopted Spooky. It’s a big responsibility to take on another animal, but at least they are all getting along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh spooky is a tiny boy... but boxers have so much energy and jump so high! I think it's good for him to have teachers like blue and bentley. Blue just learned it all so he'll be a good leader. Puppy teeth are no joke. Milo might have been the absolute worst for biting us. Nothing worked but a yipe! high pitched and turning away from him helped. He's still mouthy but doesn't bite down. Nothing like a new puppy to totally change your outlook... all that uncontained energy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Spooky! My puppy is now 15 months and I'm so glad the days of enduring those sharp puppy teeth are gone. And it's very nice to be able to put my shoes and socks on without constant puppy interference. Pups are cute but you do have to put up with a lot for a while till they grow up a bit. Good for you for taking the little fellow in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you got your puppy reminded me of the way we acquired our dogs when I was young. Any stray hanging around the post office where Dad worked would be brought home.Looks very cute and Tony would say three is the perfect number of dogs one should have.
    I too just love how our modern methods and technology can now teach us so much about these old and important documents. The applications are endless it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon! You accidentally acquired a puppy??!! I'm thrilled that you gave me a home, and Spooky is just the perfect name. The puppy bites do HURT. I used to bonk the beak (not too hard) and say no bite. That worked! And the chewing stage - yeah. That lasts a while and he obviously had no training - but you've got this. You're a gem for keeping him. {{Hugs}} More dogs for us to love photos from - win/win/win to me. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little guy you came across! He's not very old - who could have lost track of him? That Aztec manuscript looks fascinating! Beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aztec (and Mayan) books are SO COOL. It's such a bummer that the conquistadors destroyed most of them. Wow - what a way to get a dog! You'd think that someone would be missing him. He is tiny now - I can imagine he'll grow! Spooky is a great name. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aren’t you brave to acquire a third dog, but you obviously love your pups, so he is lucky to have found you. We acquired a cat several years ago in a Nor’easter and named her Stormy. She lived to be 20!
    The manuscript is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe Spooky is a cutie, normal puppy. Blue and Bentley will be good big canine brothers and companions. What a cool manuscript.

    ReplyDelete