After we put her down, I decided to make a quilted portrait of her for Mike. I started from one of his favorite pictures, this shot of her riding on the back of his motorcycle with her little pink doggles.
I used Susan Carlson's technique, and even though I love rainbow colors, I figured that for him I would stick with realistic colors. Here are some in progress shots as I was collage-ing her.
I wasn't going to try to do the motorcycle in the background because I really wanted the focus to be on her, but I wanted a dark background so she'd pop. I decided on navy and started collage-ing behind her. It really makes her stand out.
I'll share the rest of the process (quilting and finishing) on Friday, but I wanted to share another construction part here. I decided I was going to mount her on stretcher bars/canvas, but instead of just having a gallery wrapped edge, I wanted to have her in a floating frame. I purchased a bunch of pine trim pieces and started building, but quickly realized that cutting the corners with my old worn down plastic miter box was going to be a nightmare. So I took the opportunity to buy a miter saw. It was really wonderful and made nice beautiful cuts. Unfortunately, it was pouring rain so I couldn't use it on the back porch and it wound up making a disaster in my studio. I assembled the frame using clamps, ratchet straps, wood glue, and finishing nails.
Check back on Friday for the final reveal!