Thursday, March 12, 2020

I Like #155

This has been a roller coaster week for sure.  On Saturday I learned that my trip to Toronto for the SAQA conference and board retreat (which I was supposed to leave for next Monday) was cancelled.  I'm really sorry about that, I was very much looking forward to it.  And unfortunately, I had to buy three separate airline tickets for it (another story), none of which are refundable.

On the other hand, yesterday I finally got my R01 grant submitted.  I won't know for at least six months whether they will fund it, but even getting it submitted is a huge deal at work and I've been working feverishly on it for quite some time.  Getting it off my desk is a huge relief.

So a few more things to like:

1. The pups!  I got a couple of good snaps of them this week!

Bentley got the chair one day this weekend and Blue doesn't like sitting on the pouf, so we had peek-a-boo Blue while he snuggled on the batting under my table.






2. Spring weather!  I spent most of Saturday outside (and unfortunately forgot to sunscreen).  While it was very windy, it was so nice to be outside in the sun (no gray!!!) in pleasant temperatures!  The beautiful STINK trees are in bloom right now; they are really wonderful through windows and in pictures, but they make the whole neighborhood smell horrible!



3. They've started on the basement renovations at work.  This has been in the planning stages for a long time, and it's cool that they are finally starting.  I'll be anxious to see how it comes together.  My lab will be one of the ones moving downstairs, and while the space will be brand new, I'm going to be sorry to move out of my current space on the seventh floor.  The basement has no windows!!!




4.  More new projects!  Here's a sneak peek of some lattice stuff I cut and am going to be using for another sculptural project, so I'm excited by that!



5. My plants!  These aren't blooming, but I absolutely love this hanging pothos, it just flourishes and the old macrame hanger from my mom makes me so happy!  I love seeing the sun shine through them in the morning (or I did until DST happened and now we're back to getting up in the dark).


6.  I like this adorable felted knitting mouse!  One of my old lab members gave her too me and she's been on a shelf in my office for a long time.  I pulled her down to take her to Toronto with me.  We were all supposed to bring something that represented us, and the dogs are too wriggly, so I thought the knitting mouse would be perfect.  At any event, I'd forgotten how cute she is!



I hope everyone is having a good week!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more things to like!

7 comments:

  1. Oh no on non refundable plane tickets! I know the young woman who is finishing up her residency on her OB/GYN is having kittens because the 2 week boards study at University of Michigan has been changed to an online series of seminars, she says it is too hard to focus when she is sitting at home in her pajamas. I get that look that puppers have when the cat and dog fight over...the dog bed, the back of the couch, the prime space on the loveseat. Like having toddlers. Your lattice is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! Oh that picture of Blue hiding . . . how cute is that?!! I'm sorry about the non-refundable plane tickets. I may have that issue myself - Jamaica in May and a cruise in June - maybe it will all be a dim memory by then. Oh your plants at work are NOT going to like the basement with no windows. Darn it - and you either, for that matter. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peek-a-boo Blue! Excellent. So much a bummer on the airline tickets. 7th floor to the basement. I hope it's a really nice area to make up for the lack of natural sunlight. Love your little mouse. (and look forward to see what you do with that lattice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that little mouse is adorable! So sorry your conference was cancelled. Isn't it a crazy time? I love the photo of your pup snuggling under your table!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your move to the basement made me think of the British show The IT Crowd where they were in the basement...it was so funny. Meanwhile, a great list of things to like though very sorry to hear your trip was cancelled. We are officially living in crazy times. But must err on the side of caution. Your little mouse is adorable and great photos of your two furry babies too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dogs look adorable and so funny in that hidey hole! Love the knitting mouse! I'm sorry you can't go to your conference but everything is canceled here. It's the new normal. Keep well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. only you would have a hammer on the cutting table!! I love ms mouse... I want one so I need t learn needle felting/sculpting to make a menagerie. Did you see all Susie Mac's whimsical animal drawings? so cute. I laughed at little blue taking the big tallest chair, then accepting the snug undertable area. so sorry about the cancelled trip... disappointing for all of you. I love the hanging plant too, always loved those best for inside and have one still growing here. Love you and your dogs too
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete