Thursday, June 11, 2020

I Like #168

Welcome to another week of things to like! 

1.  I was digging through family pictures again this weekend at the request of my cousin who wanted to know if I had any of her dad and my other uncle togther.  I found this fabulous one of my mom's family in about 1972.  I feel like the late 60s/early 70s just oozes out, from the ties, to the colors to the dresses (I'm willing to bet my mom didn't pick out that dress), to the lawn chairs.  Yum.

And this one, from about 12 years later.  That's me and my sister there, and this captures the outdoors, dusty feel of my childhood.  That picture was actually taken from Monjeau lookout, one of my favorite places in the whole world.  And for any girl scouts, my sweatshirt there was from Camp Mary White, my councils Girl Scout summer camp, another place I spent loads of fun summers as a kid. Hello Llama camp!


2.  My first two dahlias have started opening,  I wasn't able to get very good pictures, but I'm pretty excited, and they're beautiful in person.  The color depth and variety in that pink one is fantastic and really not captured well.


3.  I was at the store and saw this star trek windscreen!  It's hard to see but it made me happy!



4.  I bought several quilts in the Spotlight Auction fundraiser at the SAQA virtual conference this year (virtual since they canceled the in-person conference in Toronto).  For quite a while all the quilts (they're each 5x7) were held up in Toronto due to COVID-19, but we finally got them so yay!  So many cool ones.

Petite Patriot, Anita Howe
After years of thinking she was too cutesy and too traditional, I've come to love sunbonnet Sue, to me she's a visual representation of how many places women can and have gone and a visual tie I embrace with historical and traditional quilting and quilters.

Blue Bird on Cherry Blossom Tree, Michelle Perkins

This pretty bird was drawn (painted?) with inktense pencils which I've always struggled with!

Wildflower, Rose Kauhane

I love the little flowers.  This piece has lots of cool hand stitching and texture!

A Moment for Thought, Daniela Tiger

I loved how much expressiveness the artist captured with fairly minimal stitching.  And her artist statement said "This work is based on a very old photo of my father, during his adventuring days, long before I was born"  I love old photos (duh, I seem to be always sharing them), and I love the idea of adventures our parents had before we were born.

Circle Play, Cindy Loos

I love the fun circles, and this is another one with so much texture up close.  The pink is super fuzzy, some sore of chenille yarn or fabric and is so fun.  And I like the combination of jagged quilting with round quilting. 


I don't have very much wall space but I found space to hang them in my studio!  They're all matted and I just left them inside their cellophane packages.  The glare is annoying in photos, but in person it's fine and this way they stay protected from the studio dust!


5. I got to work in the lab almost all of this week!  So often most of my time is spent writing and doing office stuff, that it's super exciting when I get to get back to doing actual experiments.  


Click over to LeeAnna's for more of this weeks likes.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Oh, I just adore the old photos. And to have a picture of the four of you in one of your happy places is just priceless. Yay also to being able to do some experiments! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old pictures like that, too! I'm guessing you look a lot like your mom. Your auction minis are wonderful - such a variety of techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to dig up old photos. Love that Star Trek windscreen! That blue bird is my favorite! So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all are definitely rockin' the 70s style in that photo! I have a few of those too. Wow, so many cool auction minis, and you found the perfect spot for them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon! Love your flower and art photos--what a cheery post! I love Sunbonnet Sue so glad you are a convert now :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post, Shannon. Just love seeing old photos and you are so right...speaks to the 60's for sure. Happy family! Interesting quilty pieces...I have a thing for circles and curves so love to see that and I've changed on Sunbonnet Sue too having seen her sewn now in various fabrics...modern and Japanese. She is quite the historical emblem really. How great that you got to do what you really love in the lab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each one of the quilts you got are so cool. There's no other word to describe how each makes me feel in different ways. The father's picture got me the most. That's where I am right now, recalling my parents' stories, and mine, before I forget.
    I remember the granny dresses of that time. I liked the one I sewed in yellows and browns for myself. Your dahlias are gorgeous! Mine are still sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What great quilts. Love your old photos. Great pics of the dahlias. Glad you got back to doing what you love.

    ReplyDelete