Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Nicene Creed Quilt: Finished

Today I'm here to share my finished Creed quilt.  If you missed it, scroll back a few days, there are two in progress posts from this week.  This quilt is fairly large for me, 40" wide by 61" high.

I Believe, c. Shannon Conley, 2020, 61" x 40", photo: Mike Cox

Here are Blue and Bentley in the top window.  The background is an overpainted blue synthetic velvet.  The trees are trees from home, an apple tree, a piƱon tree, and aspen trees.  And underneath that are fun quilting doodles.  One of my favorite things about illuminated manuscripts are all the doodles and flourishes that fill in extra space around the text.  Those round ones right below the window element are trinity symbols.


The decoration of the large C for credo also features more Trinity symbolism.  The background of the C and P are hand-dyed silk velvet.  The bled a little onto the surrounding quilt which makes me really sad.



Blue with his tennis ball, and more fun quilting doodles!


Pumpkin staring up at Blue with the tennis ball!

Here are Missy and Angel dogs sitting in front of our Sierra Blanca mountain in the bottom window.  The mountain is again overpainted synthetic velvet, and the flowers in the foreground are indian paintbrush.  I remember pulling out the centers and sucking the nectar as a kid.  They grow here too, and I always love seeing them.





This side has another tree-from-home, the ponderosa pine.  We used to try to braid bracelets out of the long ponderosa needles as kids.  That's Sam cat there under the tree, and Becky's rats Silky and Puffy (not-to-scale) up in the tree.


This is the other side, my lovely brown dog Shooter sitting under a blooming cherry tree.



Here are a few more fun quilting doodles,  the flowers there are red hot pokers, a favorite from where I grew up, but I can't get them to grown here



 The borders are a mix of applique shapes and very dense quilting.  The pale grey green pebbles is all just dense quilting.



I carried that dense quilting motif up into the area surrounding the top window, the light blue pebbles interlaced with the applique elements is all just dense quilting.  The quatrefoil elements are actually the leftover centers after cutting out the borders for the Lord's Prayer quilt.  I cut the centers out of those centers, so now I have a pile of even smaller middles left to do something else with.



I love the way this turned out.  All bright colors and intricate shapes and fun quilting with dogs and flowers and trees and New Mexico and prayer.  It seems like a pretty personal representation of me :)

The back turned out really pretty too.  It's an orange silk sari.  There are some quilting bobbles and places with uneven tension, but overall it's really cool to look at the back where you can see just the quilting.




Linking up with Art Quilt Fridays!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, a masterpiece! Are these quilts displayed in your church?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a work of art this is awesome. The content, colors, work-woman-ship all.
    Well done all the way through the quilting Shannon. So touching. My prior PT was a practicing native American sundancer, who made items for spiritual activities and he said he stitched a prayer into each of them.

    ReplyDelete