Friday, July 22, 2022

Birthday Present for Brett!

 My good friend Brett (who belongs to Spooky's best friend Cash) turned 40 this year, so I wanted to make him a present suitable for a milestone birthday.  My mom had made a wonderful quilt featuring silkscreens from all her dogs, so I figured making some sort of wall hanging with a Cash silkscreen would be great.  

Alas, I didn't take very many pictures in-process, but I have a few.  I started with a cute picture of Cash and Spooky, cut out Cash, and then processed it in one of my mom's iPad apps to generate a binary (black and white image).  My mom has a thermofax machine which will make silkscreens from any black and white printout which you can see here (the printout of the binary image is on that piece of top paper and the silk screen is hanging below.


I silkscreened cash onto four different colors of fabric and then pieced them together and quilted them. 






After finishing it, I decided I wanted to wrap it around a frame, so I cut off the black border and followed Susan Carlson's great tutorial for making a gallery wrapped quilt.  

I couldn't find stretcher bars locally that were the right size (it's 18x21) and I refuse to pay the shipping for them, so I made a frame out of 1x2 and then wrapped the piece around it.  I love the clean look and it hangs from a picture wire.




It turned out cute and wasn't too involved.  Brett really liked it and has hung it up in his house.  Interestingly, his step-mother also gave him a quilt she made for his milestone birthday, it's a traditional pieced quilt in the colors of his favorite football team, so he was definitely fibered-up for this birthday!





2 comments:

  1. Really cool. I like seeing the progress. That framing link was great - I need to think about framing a quilt like that. What a fun present!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and I'm sure Brett does, too. Sort of Andy Warhol-isn. Great job with the framing.

    ReplyDelete