Sunday, October 30, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival- Fall 2011 One Hen, Two Ducks

Hi Everybody and Welcome!

Thanks so much to Amy for hosting the Bloggers Quilt Festival,  what a fun way for us to share our stuff!

This quilt is called One Hen, Two Ducks.  Don't bother looking for the ducks, there aren't any!  Since it's sort of an "I Spy" quilt, filled with fun things to find and discover, I named it after an old "I Spy" style poem my sister and I learned long ago.


I started this quilt in a One Block Wonders class given by Maxine Rosenthal, and it's one of my favorites.  The bright color scheme and bright-on-black quilting are fairly common ways for me to work;  I recently made a neutral quilt for a swap and it was a (pleasant) shock to my system not to use crazy saturated colors all the time.

In this quilt, all the blocks were made from this fun Laurel Burch panel, and I left a large black section off to one side so I could include some blocks that didn't coordinate quite so well.


Here's a picture as I was assembling the blocks into rows, and some pictures of some of the regions up close.







My very favorite part of this quilt is actually the quilting.  It was the first really large quilt I'd ever made and definitely the first quilt in which I was brave enough to free motion quilt in bright contrasting colors!  I love these little half-leaf-half-centipedes that crawl all over the black background!





I hope you enjoy my quilt and all the others in the 2011 fall Bloggers Quilt Festival!

Amy'sCreativeSide

18 comments:

  1. I love your take on this One Block Wonder quilt. You are truely creative and your quilting is marvelous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous quilt, great interpretation of One block wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great job! I'm always intimidated with what fabric I would start with. Now you've got me wanting to add this to my *next up* list.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, great colors, wonderful quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colors, really stunning:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous vibrant quilt! I aspire to be that good at FMQ one day, those leaves/centipedes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you did a great job on this and the quilting is awesome. One block wonders are my favorite quilt blocks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your quilt! Quilting is a great addition to the fun piecing.

    Margaret
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com
    msolomo1@maine.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a bright and lively quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all the kind comments guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilting is gorgeous!! Very pretty quilt, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful!! Simply beautiful!! Well done! Thanks for sharing! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. came over from the linky, What an amazing quilt Wow, inspirational. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I have a one block wonder book but have not made any quilts yet. You have really inspired me! What a fun project you have completed. The contrasting thread quilting is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, goodness, what a fantastic quilt! i just love what you've done--the open boxes are wonderfully fun, the appliques beautiful and your "centipedes" are inspiring me to try something like that. thanks so very much for sharing such a lovely piece and have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete