Mom made this little piece for a show challenge. I can't remember what the challenge fabric was, but it's in there somewhere. The central panel is a silk painting my deceased grandmother made, and my mom used felting to extend it out. It didn't turn out to be a particularly strong piece, but it's nice.
Mine on the other hand was a spectacular disaster. I started with some abstract lines, a large piece of brown felt, and the color scheme of gold/brown/fuschia (probably not an easy choice). After that I pulled out my scraps and started felting away. Lots of silk and polyester fashion fabrics as well as organzas. Here are a couple of in progress shots.
And here it is "finished". My original idea was to square it up, quilt it, and behold, an abstract quilt. Alas! After finishing the felting, I hung it up and then burst out laughing. I turned it over to see if that helped (nope). I therefore promptly rolled it up and stuck it in a drawer. I can't exactly pinpoint what's wrong; I think there are too many things to count- the composition, the colors, the awful pink clown smile, all of it. Oh well, at least it was fun figuring out what kinds of things felted well and what didn't. It took an annoyingly long time though.
I actually think it's a prime candidate for cutting up and incorporating into something else. Some of the smaller sections are a bit more interesting to my eye, so maybe in future I'll do something with it. In the meantime my lessons are that a bit more planning is needed, and that I don't forsee this approach taking over my fiber practice. Oh well, live and learn!
Not sure these funny round things are salvageable, but I like the section to the left.
Linking up with the art ladies over at Nina-Marie's this week!