Thursday, August 30, 2018

I Like #81

Welcome to another week of things to like.

1. First up,  I got to spend the weekend in Dallas with my sister.  It was my nephew Alex's fifth birthday, and we had a blast at his backyard birthday.  It was so much fun to see him and his sister, as well as my sister and her husband.  I love visiting them, and the kids are tons of fun.  My sister always does great parties, full of fun crafts and homemade goodies and homemade piñatas.  This year's theme was Nexo Knights, a cartoon with which I am unfamiliar, but the kids at the party made a fun shield and Becky and the kids made the piñata and cake themed from the show.  Becky and I also got to do some nice hiking on the trails around Lake Grapevine, and even though it was hot and muggy, it was nice to be outside.



2. Our geranium at work is blooming again!  It's been growing very well, but hasn't been blooming very much.  I think the window it sits in must have tinting that blocks whatever kind of light it needs for flowering, so it's great to see a bloom.  I've been having trouble getting my dahlia to bloom too, and just remembered to give it some fertilizer the other day.  Maybe I can remember to bring some in for the geranium.  Eagle-eyed readers will know that the old geranium was red,  alas I accidentally let it die a few months ago, and a kind co-worker replaced it with one that is apparently pink!  Hooray!  My bromeliad is still blooming (same bloom as a couple months back), though its color is fading, and just last week my peace lily started to bloom again.  It has two flowers on it!





3.  I like swaps!  I used to do them pretty frequently, but don't participate much anymore.  One I did do this year wasn't a traditional swap, but a round robin.  I always have such fun working on small, low-stress projects.  This was my quilt, and you can see more in my post from earlier this week.




I hope you're having a good week! Thanks to Lee Anna for linking us up!

5 comments:

  1. Fun times with your family - that is the best! We visited the Dallas/Ft Worth area back in June, and enjoyed Grapevine, but didn't realize there was hiking there by the lake. We should have checked that out - although it was very hot and humid there at the time, too. Pretty round robin quilt! I like center with the S and the hexie flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I like how your round robin quilt turned out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done a swap in years...Family time is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my geranium was nearly done in by the heat but trying to bloom again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shannon! Was it ungodly hot in Grapevine? My niece lived there for years and I helped her move in August and I thought I was going to die it was so hot. I went to visit the first week of May and Grapevine Days were going on. I wore jeans, and she told me no one wears jeans starting May 1st (she could have told me!!). I love peace lilies - mine bloom almost continually so they must be happy. And my science experiment last winter was to keep some Gerber daisies alive. They made it and are HUGE now. How very fun with your geranium! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete