Thursday, July 9, 2020

I Like #171


I turned 40 last week and my parents, sister, and the kids came to spend the long weekend with me.  It was really the very very best adult birthday I've ever had.  It was so wonderful to have my family here with me, such a blessing.  We didn't go anywhere or do anything exciting, but just being all together was great.  We stayed at home and ate/cooked delicious food, baked tasty treats, played lawn games (when it wasn't a million degrees), did craft projects, did a few home improvement projects, played board games, did sparklers, and had squirt gun fights. 

It started on Thursday when Becky and my folks arrived with a balloon and honking and sign bearing parade.  The kids made this fantastic sparkly pink sign they put on the camper, and now I have it in my garage.  Becky put up all kinds of fun decorations in my house too. I think they ran out of space for "is"  So sweet.


Becky brought me a tasty homemade birthday cake, and when we'd finished that, I made a cake and the kids decorated it for Fourth of July.


Mom helped everyone to make pom pom animals.  This is Alex's mouse.


The pups got lots of extra snuggles and were sad the last couple of days to be back in a one-person household.





Mom brought a game called ladder ball, you toss these things that are two balls connected by a short rope at a ladder thing.  You get points for looping it around the ladder. I am completely terrible at this game.  Mom is great.  Becky is great. The kids are pretty good.  But I'm terrible.  Dad was also pretty terrible but I was just really glad that we got him to play at all. 


One of my birthday presents was this teddy bear from my sister.  She's been making them for all our family members using shirts from my two grandfathers who have passed away.  Each bear also gets a unique "accessory",  my bear got a kite.  That's particularly special because flying kites was something we used to do with my Grandpa Wilbur.  The kite is even more fun because on the back of it is a grandmother's flower garden block stitched by my great-great-grandmother.



My great-great grandmother (my grandpa Kit's grandmother) was named Mollie Mae McBride Kittrell and my sister is named after her.  She was born in 1856 and although I never knew her (obviously) I do have a couple of pictures.  In the second one, my grandfather is the youngest little baby there.  She left a partially pieced grandmother's flower garden quilt that my mother finished several years ago, and some of the fabrics from it were from clothes my grandpa wore (and remembered) from when he was a little boy.  Really special. 



There was a box of her extra fabrics and extra flowers that didn't go into the final quilt, and my mom brought those to us this past weekend.  My sister kept one to include on my bear, but most of the loose flower blocks are now in my studio.  Hopefully I'll be able to incorporate them into an art quilt sometime in future.  One of the other things that was in the box of her piecing was this partially stitched sunbonnet sue.  I was so excited to see it,  it's just so hard to imagine having something an ancestor was working on around sometime around the turn of the last century.  Fantastic.  I'm not sure what I'll do with Sue yet,  but I'll finish her somehow and incorporate her into a project.  It's such a privilege to have so much family history, and so many well-labeled photographs.  




It's been a really great week here, of course everything is getting nutty with the virus again so I'm definitely staying at home and it's sort of empty now that people have left, but it was great to have such a bright week amid what's been a pretty crazy few months.  I hope you are all hanging in there; click on over to LeeAnna's for more things to like this week!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I love the bear, the stories and the kite! Never heard of ladder ball but it looks fun! Stay safe and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - everything in this post made me smile. What a wonderful time. Love the kite. And how great to have photos and fabric like that (and well labeled - that is so helpful!). Excellent stuff! (I'd stink at ladderball, too..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday you little baby! How touching the pictures are and how precious. Ditto the bear with fabrics from loved ones... fabric is a tangible way to connect. I looked and looked at Mollie's picture... i like old photos a lot, and she had a fancy dress and hairdo... it was a big deal to have a portrait made. The dogs on their ends of the sofa made me laugh (Mom! his tail is touching me...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful birthday and the bear is such a great treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 40th! What a fun way to celebrate, with people you love most! A friend had a block by her great grandmother. Her mom added something, then she did, and then her daughters did. So it was a multi-generation finished quilt Will be fun to see what you do with your Sunbonnet Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, first of all, Happy Belated Birthday. A milestone. How fun to have the family all there for the celebrations. I'm very envious you have these treasures from your family and especially those wonderful photographs. I have some things my mother has stitched and I love them so I can imagine how much this means to you. Imagine her hands stitching that Sunbonnet Sue and now it is in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Shannon! Happy belated Birthday! It sounds like you had a fabulous celebration with all the people you love. And the pups, of course. What a fun way to observe a big milestone, especially in times like we've been experiencing. Oh, that Sue block - how special is that?!!! I hope you are able to finish it - I know you will find just the perfect use for it. That bear is just FABULOUS. Your sister did such a nice job on it and the kite is extra meaningful. I'mm thrilled for you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow-that’s a very special quilt. Congrats on a fun birthday with family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday, Shannon! That sounds like an amazing time with your family! I love the bear your sister made - and how special to have it made from your grandpa's shirts and your great-great-grandmother's quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, Shannon! It sounds like you had a great birthday with your family. I love the bear your sister made you. It's so special. You're so lucky to have some blocks that belonged to your great great grandmother! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete