Thursday, July 2, 2020

I Like #170

I was camping last week, and of course this week I'm way behind posting,  but better late than never!

Lots to like this week.  We were able to stay away from people on our camping trip and enjoyed being outside together.  My folks are here now to celebrate my birthday with me, and I'm excited by that too.

The badlands were beautiful.  All the visitors centers were closed, but we stopped and got a picture in front of the sign anyway.  It reminded me of Bryce Canyon NP, only more washed out in color. 


These two were taken right before sunrise.




The caves at Wind Cave NP and Jewel Cave NM were both closed (As well as visitors centers), but that meant we got great hiking at those places too and no people.  The best thing about Wind Cave was the prairie dogs.  Hundreds and hundreds all over the place.   And there were so many beautiful wildflowers blooming, tons of which were completely new to me.  Really unexpectedly gorgeous.  Unfortunately we got a few ticks, but mostly on my dad who wandered off the trail to take some pictures.  We got them all off, but you always worry that there's one still hitching a ride somewhere....





We hiked a couple of days in Custer State Park and that was lovely too.  All in all a wonderful trip.  This cool giant bug landed on my dad!  Of course he was trying to get us to brush it off, but we all had to take a picture first.









And I came home to snuggly pups super excited to see me and fantastic flowers.  I was weeding the flower bed when I got back and found these funny black sphere-filled bowl things.   They were in the flower beds down in the dirt and were pretty small but all over.  Does anyone know what they are?





  I've also been happy to see more people around here wearing masks, I hope that trend will continue.  I hope everyone is hanging in there and finding things to like!  Click over to LeeAnna's for more goodness!









9 comments:

  1. how beautiful it all was!!! Ticks! Yikes... prairie dogs carry plague! Keep watch and awareness on yourselves...NO one wears masks here but us... Your dad was climbing a tall wall! So many pretty vistas to paint... where to start? Those look like fancy chrysanthemums but it's too early for mums...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon! Fabulous, wonderful photos. I almost feel like I was on the trip with you. How nice that you could all gather together and enjoy a hiking vacation. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it looks like a wonderful trip. Wow - the views are terrific! Love your flowers. Those black things - how strange! Have no idea what those could be. Glad you're home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an awesome trip. Wind cave is gorgeous, hope someday you can return and do some caving. Great pics of the family, flowers, and I am sure the pups are super glad you are home. Your dahlias are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great socially distanced vacation! Thanks for sharing so we can live vicariously through you. 😉 Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your trip looks wonderful! I think Badlands is a fascinating place and all of the Black Hills really just beautiful. Your flowers are doing so well! No idea what those other things are, though. I hope you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, the Badlands of SDak - you had some fun hikes there, and you took some great photos, especially those just before dawn! I was born and raised in SDak so I'm a bit partial. Pretty flowers, but no idea what those other things are. If you find out, let us know. Curious minds & all, y'know?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful vistas! Thank you for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was tickled to see the photos from the Badlands of SDakota. I was born and raised in Rapid City. I had to quickly scroll up to your profile, to see where you live. You vacationed all the way from OK!! Gosh!

    Wish I knew about the black sphere filled things. Some kinds of fungi??

    ReplyDelete