Wednesday, July 22, 2020

I Like #173

Welcome to another week of things to like, and another week of staying at home!

Here is this week's obligatory dahlia picture.  A lot of the dahlias are barely limping along (too hot, too much sun this time of the summer), but this one gets more shade than a lot of others so it's still doing great.


The zinnias have pretty blooms, but they have the dratted white leaf fungus again.



Here's this week's Blue-is-weird picture,  he sat like this for quite a while the other day,  can't believe his hips don't hurt, but whatever.  


Bentley is as snuggly (and drooly) as ever.



My number of work zooms has gone up tremendously this week, and they are really hard on my neck and back, too much sitting bent over the laptop, so I was glad the weather was cool enough (mid 90s) for me to take a short walk around campus after a particularly lengthy zoom this week.  The reflecting pool at the center of our pedestrian parkway is really pretty, although it is broken quite a lot.

I finally got around to making a block for Lea McComas' Border Wall Quilt Project this week.  It's a community art project in which blocks expressing a wide range of diverse opinions about immigration and the border are expressed.  If you want to know more information, you can check it out here.  The project has been going on for a couple of years, but the last time I emailed her (in June) she still needed some more blocks to complete the current panel (the blocks are assembled into larger panels for display), so if you're interested in participating, check it out.  This is my block.  In my view, immigrants are good for our country and I don't think we've been doing the right thing the last few years.  Incidentally, the gold background fabric in my block was from a curtain I made out of fabric I bought when I was in Spain but didn't need anymore.  I've since used it in lots of things, and I love the gold on gold woven background pattern.  This is just about the last bit left.



I've been making fairly good progress on my current knitting project while on zoom meetings.  I'm about 3/4 through with this lacy shawl.  It's hard to see here, but should be pretty once it's finished and blocked.




 I also blogged this week about my embroidered prayer book cover,  it was such a great project to work on during these months of being at home. You can check it out here.


This weekend I had to make a rare grocery store trip and I was pleased to see almost everyone wearing a mask (in stark contrast to my last shopping trip two weeks ago).  Hopefully this means there's hope going forward!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.  Click over to Lee Anna's for more things to like! 


6 comments:

  1. I actually got goosebumps over the welcome home quilt block... how perfect! Your prayer book cover is just like you, full of beauty and order, showing time taken to do something well. Blue is doing dog-ya... we call that "long dog" when one of ours lies on his back and stretches his back legs out. Those are good hips... my hip came out again yesterday when I swerved putting on my back porch sandals... aging ain't for sissies. Your dahlia is a survivor and I'd love to capture the cupped petals in a painting

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just a stunning piece of embroidery for your prayer book. Congrats. All your flowers are lovely despite extreme weather. . Great colors for that shawl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon! Gosh your prayer book is just stunning. What a fabulous keepsake. I'll have to go read all about it! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superman pose! My guinea pigs would sit that way. :-) Oh, zinnias. I have a few (I think) that are growing - but no flowers yet. Slouching on the couch is bothering my back and neck - so I feel for you! Wow -that book cover is truly spectacular! You do such lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your prayer book is AMAZING! Great work! I love seeing your garden and views! Stay safe and hugs to the pups!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried elevating your laptop? My husband has his on a makeshift stand so it's up higher and is easier on his neck and shoulders, so just a thought. We just stacked a bunch of stuff that works until it was the right height. Still like that lovely prayer book!

    ReplyDelete