Thursday, July 16, 2020

I Like #172

Welcome to another week of things to like.  This week for me was mostly a getting-back-to-the-routine week, going to work and going back home.  Our COVID cases are spiking here (as in many places), but I don't mind staying home so its ok with me.  I continue to be flabbergasted by resistance to common protective measures like masking and social distancing, around here, but I think people are slowly (too slowly) getting better about it.


I really liked these balls on the trees outside my lab building.  I have no idea what they are, but they have really cool shape and texture.

I haven't felt particularly motivated or inspired to work on any big art quilt projects (I need to start something new and am struggling) but I've been working away on smaller projects, including these embroideries for the summer reading and stitching club being organized by Mollie Johanson of Wild Olive.  

Each week the embroidery is inspired by a classic children's book.  This week I stitched this one (inspired by the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) which prompted me last night to get out and re-read the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, my favorite of the Chronicles of Narnia.


And I stitched this one, inspired by the book "All of a Kind Family".  This was the only book so far I hadn't read as a kid, so I checked out the audiobook from the library.  It turned out to be super charming!  It's about a Jewish family with five daughters living in New York City in the early 1900s.  There are five I think, and thus far I have listened to two of them.  They have something of the same style as Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables, except for the city setting.  They're pretty short, but I've been enjoying them.


My mom brought me these vinyl decals when she was out a couple of weeks ago; they were quite old, I think they were from my uncle who probably got them to put on his nursery or something.  But apart from a few discolored areas, they were still fine! I stuck them on the outside of my studio building and they add some more color.  They're right next to all my flower beds, it's my favorite part of the yard.



We had terrible terrible thunderstorms this week and several of my dahlias got completely broken, but there are quire a few that made it through, so I gathered up another bunch of dahlia blossoms and took them to one of our admins at work.


This week I blogged about the current state of my liturgical quilt series,  it was really cool to see the progress all in one place.  You can check it out here.  This quilt is an older one from that series.



The pups are doing fine, just no new pictures of them this week.  I did find out what those weird black cup things were in my flower bed, apparently they're birds nest fungus, and grow on decomposing organic matter.  Mystery solved!

I hope everyone is staying safe this week, click on over to Lee Anna's for more things to like!



8 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! I sure do wonder about those balls in the trees outside your office. When you find out you have to be sure to let us know! Yes, why are people reluctant to wear masks and social distance?!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dahlias! OMGosh how gorgeous. We had hard winds and flooding this week too. I think those big balls are holding walnuts or some kind of nut in it's own shell. I've seen them in MD and when they fall they break apart and you see the nut. the quilt reminds me of a mandala

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds nest fungus - how cool are those?!?! Those bees are ridiculously cute. Ah... the Narnia Chronicles. I own very few books, but I have that set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those little embroideries based on books! Voyage of the Dawn Treader has always been a favorite of mine, too. What fun to have those decals to decorate your studio with - so cute! And I love your dahlias - they are a really pretty flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute embroideries. The Balls hanging off the tree are very interesting and I love the texture. I keep thinking I need to read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe....Lovely flowers and great way to rescue them and love the vinyl bee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea for an embroidery series. And lovely stitching too. I’m intrigued by those tree balls. Let us know when you find out what they are. Neat decals too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Shannon! That is going to be a neat embroidery project! Hope you get your mojo back soon! I am sewing quilt tops but ignoring my embroidery right now. We just have to go with the flow of what we need to do right now. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The dahlias are so pretty. What s fun embroidery project - Dawn Treader was my favorite of the Narnia series too. I read the series to my kids when they were littles, so the books also have happy memories from that. Curious about those balls too, and thanks for letting us know about that odd fungus!

    ReplyDelete