Monday, February 20, 2023

Only You: Auditioning Forms

 Last Friday I shared the first steps for my newest piece and talked about painting and quilting the fabric.  I got it pleasted and pinned to my design wall (I do soooo love the quilting texture) and then it pretty much sat there for all of Advent and Christmas while I was busy with holiday stuff.  But then after our 12th Night feast was over, I was back at it, auditioning sculptural forms.


I quickly realized that my vague idea of doing something sculptural related to onion quilting patterns wouldn't work, so I started playing with other ideas.


I liked this round shape, but it was prety small for such a giant piece of fabric (about 40 inches square).


I decided to cut the piece in half lengthwise (to give two pieces about 11 feet long by 22 inches) to give a little more flexibility.  I played around with some sort of weird layered things but nothing was feeling quite right.


I was amused by this heart form but couldn't think of a good way to stabilize it properly.






I liked this idea of two sort of intersecting fan shapes so decided to work in this general direction.



I decided I wanted some more fold geometry, so I added these roof-like folds at the end of each pleat.



Come back on Wednesday to see the final piece!









No comments:

Post a Comment