Wednesday, December 19, 2012

WIP Wednesday: The Christmas Scurry

My biggest craft decision of the week is that I've decided to throw in the towel on finishing Linda's memory quilt before I go home for the holidays.  I got the top all pieced together as well as the back, but the thought of basting it (it's too large for spray baste) made me shrivel.  When my mom suggested I bring it home to quilt on the longarm over the holiday, I jumped at the chance.  I think it will work very well, especially since I'm planning mostly large open quilting.

I did have a bunch of miscellaneous finishes in the past week, I made the Christmas totes which were presents for Mikes daughters and finished some other Christmas surprises not to be shown until after the holiday.  More excitingly I made five plain muslin skirts for the Twelfth Night Festival just after Christmas and finished the alterations to the king costume worn by our priest.  It was supposed to be an exciting-completely-finished-with-that-project, but I just found out last night that we need two more costumes I hadn't heard anything about.  We'll see if I can come up with anything from the current stash of costumes, but if not, back to the drawing (er sewing) board!

My other finish this week was my first ever frame purse.  I'd wanted to make some ever since I won a gorgeous frame clutch from Andrea over at Stitch Parade over a year ago.  I ordered a selection of 8x3 frames from While Baby Naps.  I'd been kind of nervous about the glue, and didn't have an urgent need for another purse,  so hadn't gotten around to doing anything.  I wanted to make something for my boss's adorable granddaughter though, so I figured the time was ripe to try it out.  Worked great actually, not nearly as bad as I'd expected.  I put Minnie Mouse on the inside since that's her favorite.



I also finally got around to making a yarn tree.  I'd been seeing them around blogland forever, but never actually did one.  The other day though I used up the end of some yarn that was on a cone, so I took five minutes and made one.  It's hard to tell in the photo, but the tree is a minty green color with sparkly green flecks.





Hope you're all making good progress on your WIPs!  Linking up with Lee as always!

3 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for waiting for the long arm. Quilting can go a lot quicker! Cute purse! I just finished two myself. It wasn't as bad I thought it would be either, but I don't think I'll be making another one for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute clutch and I love the yarn tree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the rest of the costumes!!! Nothing like last minute sewing to stress you out. I think I'm nearly done with my Christmas crafting. There are a few more things I wanted to do, but they got crossed off the list. Maybe next year. :-) Love the little purse!

    ReplyDelete