Late last week I shared a post about my grandpa and a quilt I've been working on inspired by his lab notebook. I ended that post by talking about the digital collages made from his specimens, drawings, and notes and my microscopy images. I had the digital collages printed onto a polyester satin fabric by spoonflower. The print quality was very good, and the panels are pretty large (the finished quilt is 37"h x 57"w) and I started by sandwiching the quilt and quilting the whole thing. The quilting turned out to be nightmare unfortunately- I had a new can of spray baste and I evidently used too much because everything was constantly gunked up. It was a mess.
I didn't want to just have three even panels, so I made some top and bottom borders out of some green velveteen appliqued over some additional printed microscopy images. The microscopy images are a picture of grass stem- what you see below in brown underneath the green leafy brown overlying applique. Unfortunately the strip of brown grass stem wasn't long enough so I pieced in some turquoise and then added some paint to give it some depth. The turquoise alone was looking pretty flat.
|AH 107, Range Grasses. c. Shannon Conley, 2021, 37"x57", photo by Mike Cox|