Thursday, November 15, 2018

I Like #92

New things to like for this week:

1.  Most importantly,  an amazing shout out to our veterans in thanks for their amazing service to our country.  This year was especially poignant with the 100th anniversary of the Armistice, and I found myself thinking more than usual about the horrors of the first World War.  I found this picture of my sister and me from Christmas 1982 with my father, a Vietnam veteran, my grandfather, a World War II veteran, and my great-grandfather, a World War I veteran.  I'm lucky that my father and grandfather are still with us (the latter was quite helpful regarding my fence situation when I called him Sunday), and my great Grandpa Cliff lived until I was 16 so I got to know him as well.  Thank you to all who serve!!!


2. Fall and early winter are here in earnest,  we got our first snow on Monday (which I didn't get any pictures of), but I did snap a picture late last week of the pretty trees at work.


3.  Blue had been breaking out of my fence constantly, so I had to get a new fence.  Unfortunately, they were scheduled to start it the same day as the first snow, but they guys came anyway, and got it in in two days.  The new fence is wonderful, and I appreciate their hard work.  It's really much nicer than my old fence, but Blue has already started chewing on it, so I'm going to have to put up the zap wire when I get back after Thanksgiving.  Mike is staying with them at the house next week, so hopefully he can keep an eye on the fence.


4.  I love the pups, even though-ahem-BLUE I wish they'd quit with the fence.....  Here's a dog selfie with Bentley.  He decided that even if I was in the chair rather than on the sofa there was still room for him.  Blue is blending in.  Of course he had to pull off the sheet I put on the couch to keep some of the mud off.






5.  I love my euphorbia!!  It's one of my favorite plants, and I thought I'd killed it earlier in the year.  It was a whole giant multi-month saga, but I think now that both the original broken one may be saved (there are some new leaves yay!!!), and the tiny ones I tried to propagate to salvage something might be saved!





6.  Finally I'll leave you with this picture of my neighbor who has decided that fall decorations and Christmas decorations can co-exist.  I have to confess the idea of the scarecrow visiting the baby Jesus makes me smile.



Hope you all have a good week and a good celebration next week for those who are observing Thanksgiving.  It seems suitable to me that our Likes fall on Thursday- for me at least, a weekly opportunity to find things to be grateful for.  Thanks to LeeAnna for keeping us going!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon! Oh Blue, why must you chew on the fence?!! I know for a fact that you have appropriate chew toys. And dogs to run around with to get out that pent up energy. So stop it please!! I posted Brandy's picture just for you!! I knew you would see the look on her face and see the total exasperation with the whole voting process. heehee And, the multi-month-long-saga! HAHA! I remember that, and am so glad to see the are new leaves and plenty of hope for it not being dead. My birthday mums are still kicking - I think they're mums. I haven't even shared a picture of them yet but they are my science experiment for the winter - to see if I can keep them alive AND then plant them in late spring. We'll see. I LOVE the nativity and Halloween decorations. Smart, I say. Makes everyone happy! Happy Thursday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that laugh!!! Scarecrows can celebrate too! co-exist... lol! I loved the pic of your family and you look the same! How special to know your family has such integrity and love for country. I like that pic of Bentley on your lap at the fireplace. I think Blue needs some calming drops so he doesn't get so anxious when you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that picture of the veterans in your family - it is a precious keepsake! Glad you got good results on your fence, too. We have some fence sections that need to be replaced, but fortunately don't have a dog who needs to stay put! I think we are all getting a good chuckle out of the scarecrow visiting Baby Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our golden lab, Corvette, chewed through multiple wood posts on the porch and fence. Silly dogs! Thank goodness they are so cute, huh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Blue. I feel for you. The fence looks nice. What a terrific family photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blue!!! You naughty dog! Hope he lets the fence alone soon! The scarecrow and baby Jesus sounds like a weird folk song :) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am envious of your beautiful houseplants. I have a cat (insert rolling eyes) that thinks that plants are a delicacy. Wow that fence is pretty awesome. Yep Blue is definitely a lap size dog. Great pictures of the men in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great family picture! If you ever find yourself in the KC area, I'd suggest a visit to the Liberty Memorial World War I museum, I think you'd enjoy it. They had it all lit up with red poppies for Veterans Day. Pretty dogs.

    ReplyDelete